New workhorse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe

Über Member
dsc00130sr9.jpg

Risen from the parts box! (apart from the frame, headset and brakes).
Still need to fit the back brake, and probably cut the steerer down when I've got myself dialed in.
She's an absolute tank!:smile:

djb1971

Legendary Member
I love the LHT, it'll be great and bomb proof when finished :blush:
once the stack and new brakes are sorted :sad:

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
Cheers all. We're getting on pretty well together:tongue:

The CR720s are pretty good. A definite improvement over the BR550s I used on my last Surly. I'm not sure how well I've set them up but they stop me and modulate pretty well.
They do take a bit of force to bring me to a stop when travelling at a fair wack - no way near as much bite as my road bike calipers.
But like I said, that could be my set up, and they would no doubt be improved with some decent pads.
I would definitely recommend them over the other cantilevers I've used but can't really give an accurate review as I have little experience with this type of brake.

djb1971

Legendary Member
Get some dual compound Kool Stops on them. I can also recommend the tri compound tectonic pads, a bit pricey at first because they are cartridges but then it just paying for inserts.

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
just jim said:
Joe - what kind of wheels are thems?

Are they of the robust handbuilt variety?
Unfortunately not. They just came off my old mountain bike (2006 Hardrock Sport). I think they are some sort of Alex rim on an entry level (below Deore) Shimano hub. Pretty strong but heavy, especially with the Marathon Plus tyres!

just jim

Alrightee. Mind if I ask what size frame that is. I'm thinking of building one up myself you see, what with the huge range in frame sizing on offer.

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
It's the 52cm (with 54 top tube). I'm 5ft 9 and it fits pretty well.
Only thing I need is a seatpost with more setback as the Brooks' rails are really short:angry:

just jim

Hmmm, I suspect I may be a 52 (5" 7.5, 31.5 inseam) as well, but not 100% sure yet.
How will you cut down the steerer? Not sure if my hacksaw skills are that great...

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
I've not cut it yet. I was going to have a go with the hacksaw but I'm not particularly confident about doing it! It's pretty comfy as it is so I think I will leave it for now. I've got a slightly different stem (longer and with a more aggressive angle) to the photo on there at the moment.

Top Bottom