New York Times article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
a well-written piece of work - thankyou

And interesting that most of the comments are about helmets protecting them from being hit by a motor vehicle, not something helmets are remotely designed to do. The Americans really do have the helmet religion bad IME.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Great article.

And well done to Michael Bloomberg for rejecting calls for mandatory helmet law for NYC & it's soon to be cycle hire scheme.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Mrs A_T is obsessed with wearing a helmet... and gets worried when I don't.
Though she saw how many people of all ages ride bikes everywhere on the roads and streets in Amsterdam she couldn't make the connection to use a bike as a simple way of getting around in the same way she happily walks everywhere now.
This was brought home to her in an advert on TV during which a mother straps a helmet on her toddler to ride a stable and safe bike with stabilisers for a few seconds in the garden yet allowed the same child to climb, bareheaded, up an unprotected ladder and slide down an open slide 2 metres above a concrete patio!

Great article, but it won't change any minds in the US. The opinion that all cyclists should wear helmets is so entrenched over here that I've actually had drivers stop their cell phone conversations for 2 seconds to yell at me to wear a helmet.

It's ok for kids to use guns, but not ok to cycle without a helmet.

It's ok to exclude cyclists from group rides who don't wear helmets, but not those carrying a gun.

sabian92

Über Member
Great article, but it won't change any minds in the US. The opinion that all cyclists should wear helmets is so entrenched over here that I've actually had drivers stop their cell phone conversations for 2 seconds to yell at me to wear a helmet.

It's ok for kids to use guns, but not ok to cycle without a helmet.

It's ok to exclude cyclists from group rides who don't wear helmets, but not those carrying a gun.

Who carries a gun on a group ride?

Oh, you're from Texas, that explains everything... ^_^ ;)

green1

Über Member
Last time I was in the states there was a biker convention for the week where the amount of people wearing a helmet on their harley was easily countable on one hand. I bet the drivers don't have a go at them for not wearing a helmet.

StuartG

slower but further

Wow, that would solve cycle safety (in Texas). Mandate cyclists MUST carry a gun, and drivers MUST NOT. And I think you can use them when you feel threatened. Or was that Florida? :becool:

Drago

Legendary Member
Very well written, but essentially wrong.

If the hysteria about helmets and safety is putting people of cycling then why are World wide cycle sales booming?

Interesting, but based on a faulty presumption.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty

in my time on the CTC council I did propose that the entire rulebook be reduced to 'do not discharge firearms in urban areas'. Sadly they didn't go for it.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I rode "lidless" for the first time (in many years) last night. I have to say I loved it. I felt a sense of freedom that I haven't felt on my bike in years and also...and this was odd...it made me feel in tune with the road, a little like I'd ascended somehow in to a new cycling fraternity. Worst still, I couldn't help but look at those riders who were, like I was the day before, wearing helmets and thinking that they all looked a little like nervous beginners.

I shall doubtless "lid up" tomorrow but I enjoyed my day trip to the dark side immensley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom