New Zealand cyclist arrested for not wearing a helmet.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Leaving daughter on her own
1421750860744.jpg
New Plymouth police have apologised to a couple after their 11-year-old daughter was left stranded on the Coastal Walkway when her father was arrested.

On Monday afternoon Ashley Hoeta was going for a bike ride with his daughter, when he was stopped by a police officer for not wearing a helmet.

Police are cracking down on cyclists who are not wearing helmets.

The officer told Hoeta he would give him a 14-day ticket, which meant if Hoeta could prove he had a helmet he would be let off.

The two exchanged words, Hoeta said.

"I was a bit peeved. There were two people who had just passed me with no helmets and he stopped me."

He asked the officer if he had anything better to do, Hoeta said.

"I said: 'If you were in India you could arrest 8 people on one bicycle'."

Hoeta told the officer to write the ticket and he would check on his daughter, who was wearing a helmet, and had stopped a few metres away.

That's when the problems started, Hoeta said. ...............

Drago

Legendary Member
Chump breaks a chump law says some chump things, and is carted of by a chump. And...?

compo

Veteran
So was he arrested for not wearing a helmet, or was he stopped for not wearing a helmet and actually arrested for being a mouthy fool.

I am of the opinion that if you are in the wrong and stopped then yes sir, no sir, sorry sir, it wont happen again sir is often the more sensible route. Of course if you are in the right then they are fair game, but is still a bit silly to become offensive to them.

If he hadn't kicked off like an idiot then maybe he wouldn't have had to leave his daughter alone. Being a parent means taking responsibility.
Yes but the police should have also taken the 11 year old child into account as well. Of they arrest someone or take them down to the police station, do they abandon a minor at the site of the road? At a minimum they should have left an officer with her.

Last edited:

adscrim

Veteran
I'd like to see eight people on a bike. I mean, I'd be mildly curious, I'm not demanding to see it.
photo8.jpg

Ta Da

D

Deleted member 26715

3622120743_e77b16f911.jpg

Not in India & not on a cycle, but does it meet with your approval?

Reactions: 4F
D

Deleted member 26715

One should have the choice to do what one likes on this matter, just before you start to spout off, I never go out without one, but it should be personal choice.

sidevalve

Über Member
Yes but the police should have also taken the 11 year old child into account as well. Of they arrest someone or take them down to the police station, do they abandon a minor at the site of the road? At a minimum they should have left an officer with her.
Possibly - however it's another case of 'it's somebody else's duty to care for my children' well no it isn't it's YOURS. You know the law - you break the law - someone asks you [and it seems quite reasonably] to comply or at least prove a willingness to comply and you start mouthing off and the outcome is of course somebody else's fault. Secondly it was not a road it was a coastal path , possibly ridden by many children of that age daily. Third what exactly did he do to make certain of his daughter's safety himself ? He passed over his phone and said 'ring mother' - does he not know how to use the phone ?
Like many speeding motorists if you break the law and you get caught shut up and accept it - the responsibility WAS HIS - he was the so called adult, he was the parent and he behaved like a spoilt brat.

Top Bottom