New Zealand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It is, I've only done the northern part of North Island and I would love to go back and do the rest.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
feckless said:
At least it's actually on the South Island.

I've lived here for eight years and never been any further south than Wellington.

f
Shouldn't you have a wellington as your avatar then? :smile:

papercorn2000

Lived in NZ for 2 years and travelled all over. Beautiful country. A cross between Scotland and the Alps. Size of the UK but with the population of Wales so loads of wilderness. Great if you enjoy any kind of outdoor sport and the level of participation is huge.
If you do get there, make some effort to pick up my surfboard. The feckless Stevens didn't bother his arse!

yello

I lived there for 15 years. Without wishing to piss on anyone's parade, anywhere looks good on tourist adverts, or on a summer's day! And, like anywhere, there is good and bad.

I did find, in retrospect, the general go-for-it attitude that the country instils in it's people to be great... but it took for me to arrive in the UK and deal with almost the exact opposite on a daily basis to realise it! It is a great place to be for sport and the great outdoors, it's so much a part of the everyday life of so many. On the flip side, you are far away from artistic and cultural variety. When I left, in 1982, I was hugely into punk & new wave music and NZ was a f*ck of a long way away from where it was all happening - I couldn't wait to leave!

Would I go back? My priorities have obviously changed and NZ is, ironically, a more attractive place to me now than it was when I was 18 but, no, not now. To be honest, I have no desire to even visit.

jay clock

Massive member
I am reading a Josie Dew book about cycling in NZ, it seams cyclists are regarded no better than a possum on the roads

Not my experience, but I did avoid the main highways. here is my account http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/nz

Agreed about the postive attitude. When I met people and said I was cycling round the North Island they a) didn't seem surprised and :smile: said "good onyer". In the UK you would get a funny look and "why the hell would you do that"

I read half of the Josie Dew book, couldn't really get into it, was expecting to find more about cycling, instead it was mainly a moan about the weather, the drivers, etc. Could put you off NZ for life!!!!

yello

Ah yes, 'good on ya'. Brings it back I can tell you!

It's a nation of do-ers and make do-ers. A bit of no. 8 fencing wire fixes anything!

Top Bottom