Newbie advice on bikes and gears 1x11 vs 1x10 vs 3x9

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kajjal

Guru
I used that calculator to plot and compare speeds at 80 rpm for each of the three bikes I'd mentioned.
Results are here.

That makes the whole thing much clearer to me, the overlap isn't just between cranks 1&2 and 2&3, it's between 1&3.
In fact there are only 15 "unique" speeds in the range from 27 possible gear combos.

Also, I assumed the gears would be evenly spread whereas they are closer together in the lower gears and farther apart in the top gears so any worries I had about uphill gearing aren't an issue. The limitation of the 10 and 11 speed bikes will be more obvious at higher speeds which I'm less concerned about, though I can see why it would be an issue for some.
There's also little difference between the 10 and 11 speed options.

I'm probably overthinking this so I've decided we're going to rent bikes for a day next weekend which I know have 3 x 9 gears and see how we both get on.

That’s a very good idea.

nickAKA

Über Member
I used that calculator to plot and compare speeds at 80 rpm for each of the three bikes I'd mentioned.
Results are here.

That makes the whole thing much clearer to me, the overlap isn't just between cranks 1&2 and 2&3, it's between 1&3.
In fact there are only 15 "unique" speeds in the range from 27 possible gear combos.

Also, I assumed the gears would be evenly spread whereas they are closer together in the lower gears and farther apart in the top gears so any worries I had about uphill gearing aren't an issue. The limitation of the 10 and 11 speed bikes will be more obvious at higher speeds which I'm less concerned about, though I can see why it would be an issue for some.
There's also little difference between the 10 and 11 speed options.

I'm probably overthinking this so I've decided we're going to rent bikes for a day next weekend which I know have 3 x 9 gears and see how we both get on.

Real life cycling is simple, and 3x9 should give you everything you need. As you say the important ratios are the low ones so I'd always err on that side as a beginner - regardless of the terrain it will go anywhere. Don't be put off by the perceived 'complexity' of a triple setup, if you buy your bike from a reputable bike shop they'll be able to set it up perfectly & look after it with their eyes closed, simple maintenance is all that's required after that.
I re-started my cycling after a 25 year break on a £400 specialized hybrid, a 3x8, and it's still going on the original chainset after nearly 7 years; I've replaced nothing bar brake blocks & tyres... had to tinker with it a few times but it's been literally bomb-proof and got me up every hill I've ever tackled. Do your due diligence but don't be afraid to dive in!

PpPete

Legendary Member
Whatever you choose there will always be a hill somewhere that requires you to get off and walk. I have triples on most of my bikes, and big dinner plate cassettes, but still have to walk up the Devil's Staircase in Mid Wales , and the Hardknott Pass in the Lakes, because the limiting factor is the front wheel lifting off the ground and I can't stay out the saddle long enough.
I'd second the choice of a 3x9 for someone coming back to cycling after a long absence. You are likely to spend most of your time in the middle ring, keep the little ring in reserve for the longer steeper hills, and the bigger one for the days when you feel strong and the wind is behind you. Over time you'll get stronger and want a second bike with maybe a 50/34 compact at the front.

OP
OP
HeebyGeeby

HeebyGeeby

Regular
I thought I'd update this thread now I've finally got my bike in case it helps someone else in a similar position.

What my wife and I ended up with bears no relation to what I set out to buy...
I borrowed a pure road bike, carbon frame, skinny tyres then hired a flat bar hybrid to get some idea of what each felt like.
I found that the dropped bars were actually more comfortable as I could change my hand positions as I got tired. But I was scared stiff of those narrow wheels on Dublin's potholed streets and the road bike just didn't feel "fun" enough.

I tried various local bike shops here in Dublin but the selection was poor and given it was the end of the season nobody seemed to have what I wanted in stock to see in the flesh. many seemed to be tied to a single obscure brand and wanted to sell me what they had, rather than what I wanted.

So we went the gravel bike route. Dropped bars and the capability for fatter tyres for greenways and thinner ones for road to be bought online from the UK.
After a month of research I ordered a Pinnacle Arkose 1 from Evans for my wife and i ordered a Ribble CGR Al for myself.
I ordered from Evans just before they were bought out so there was a delay in delivering but the Evans staff were A1, reassuring me along the way.

Ribble were a different story. I ordered the bike in late October and it finally arrived nearly three months later, squeezed into a carton smaller than the width of the bike so the derailleur was bent. I love the bike but Ribble are by far the worst company I've ever had to deal with for customer service. I'll put the gory details in a separate thread but Ribble is a disaster of a company. The only reason they communicated with me at all was that I made a fuss on Twitter and Facebook and only then to get me to shut up.

We're both delighted with our bikes now we have them, those chunky tyres and the slightly more upright seating position are great. My 1x11 gears are a dream to use, albeit the gear change is a little sloppy with a deformed derailleur but when Ribble finally deem to send me a new one, probably post Brexit, I'm sure things will settle down.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I thought I'd update this thread now I've finally got my bike in case it helps someone else in a similar position.

What my wife and I ended up with bears no relation to what I set out to buy...
I borrowed a pure road bike, carbon frame, skinny tyres then hired a flat bar hybrid to get some idea of what each felt like.
I found that the dropped bars were actually more comfortable as I could change my hand positions as I got tired. But I was scared stiff of those narrow wheels on Dublin's potholed streets and the road bike just didn't feel "fun" enough.

I tried various local bike shops here in Dublin but the selection was poor and given it was the end of the season nobody seemed to have what I wanted in stock to see in the flesh. many seemed to be tied to a single obscure brand and wanted to sell me what they had, rather than what I wanted.

So we went the gravel bike route. Dropped bars and the capability for fatter tyres for greenways and thinner ones for road to be bought online from the UK.
After a month of research I ordered a Pinnacle Arkose 1 from Evans for my wife and i ordered a Ribble CGR Al for myself.
I ordered from Evans just before they were bought out so there was a delay in delivering but the Evans staff were A1, reassuring me along the way.

Ribble were a different story. I ordered the bike in late October and it finally arrived nearly three months later, squeezed into a carton smaller than the width of the bike so the derailleur was bent. I love the bike but Ribble are by far the worst company I've ever had to deal with for customer service. I'll put the gory details in a separate thread but Ribble is a disaster of a company. The only reason they communicated with me at all was that I made a fuss on Twitter and Facebook and only then to get me to shut up.

We're both delighted with our bikes now we have them, those chunky tyres and the slightly more upright seating position are great. My 1x11 gears are a dream to use, albeit the gear change is a little sloppy with a deformed derailleur but when Ribble finally deem to send me a new one, probably post Brexit, I'm sure things will settle down.

Is it the derailleur bent or is it the derailleur hanger plate, the latter can be re-aligned if it isn't too bad.

OP
OP
HeebyGeeby

HeebyGeeby

Regular
Is it the derailleur bent or is it the derailleur hanger plate, the latter can be re-aligned if it isn't too bad.

The hanger was certainly bent, 30 degrees or so. I removed it and straightened as best I could.
The derailleur may be perfectly fine but it's a new bike and I would rather have swapped both parts and know that I had an undamaged bike. No idea what Ribble will be prepared to do.

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie

Agreed with Raleighnut, the hanger is a small sacrificial part that links the rear derailleur to the frame and is designed to bend/break in the event of an impact to protect the more expensive components from damage. It sounds more likely that this is the issue and that it got bent in transit, as your gears are still working to a degree.

I would drop it into a local bike shop near you, they should be able to check the hanger for alignment and possible fracture. If it’s showing signs of fracturing then it’s easy and cheap to replace. If it’s just a bit bent (which it sounds like) then they can bend and align it for just a few euro.

I would do this sooner rather than later to ensure proper alignment of your drivetrain and eliminate any premature wear.

Congratulations on the new bikes by the way! If you fancy a trip up north for a day/weekend, there’s a lovely circular ride around Lower Lough Erne from Enniskillen.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
The derailleur will be fine

Personally, I do not advise straightening a bent hanger - especially 30 degrees.

They are designed to bend easy (saving your frame and derailleur).

Straightening them only invites them to break clean in two at the same point - the next time you have a mishap

and when that happens, things can get really ugly

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The derailleur will be fine

Personally, I do not advise straightening a bent hanger - especially 30 degrees.

They are designed to bend easy (saving your frame and derailleur).

Straightening them only invites them to break clean in two at the same point - the next time you have a mishap

and when that happens, things can get really ugly
How much is it bent though, the OP says he's riding the bike so it can't be too bad ?

EDIT-Whoops, bent 30 degrees you say, missed that post, new hanger time then but if you can screw a new mech out of em too then fair play.

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
How much is it bent though, the OP says he's riding the bike so it can't be too bad ?

EDIT-Whoops, bent 30 degrees you say, missed that post, new hanger time then but if you can screw a new mech out of em too then fair play.

Whoops! Missed that too! OP posted whilst I paused mid-posting to deal with laundry matters :laugh: Yes, definitely bent too far to be rescued so it’s new hanger time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HeebyGeeby

HeebyGeeby

Regular
Update: Ribble are checking to see whether they have any spare brackets in stock... I won't know for 24 to 48 hours which is the lag between each email to/from their customer support and no, I've no idea why they don't keep a stock of these.
My plan is to get a new bracket fitted, have the gears checked and adjusted professionally then keep the old one as a spare.

Top Bottom