Newbie advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

rjkc600

lol - yeah i cant justify spending over £500 really, ill do best to get the specialized one for £500!

:biggrin:

Randochap

Senior hunter
Hi.

There's no reason to go from a MTB, all the way to a "racing" style bike ... unless you see yourself getting into the local racing scene.

There are plenty of options in between -- from hybrids and tourers to "audax"-style bikes. These allow for wider tyres and the addition of mudguards and racks.

They will generally come w/ a wider range of gears, as well. There's nothing to be gained from grinding out a high gear when lower gears are available. Spinning a lower gear is kind to your knees and generally more efficient.

I have a range of bikes, but the most practical for most uses (including long distances) sports 42mm tyres! I don't even have to think about bumpy roads with those and they are very fast as well.

OP
OP
R

rjkc600

Yo may well be right. im going to the shop tomorrow to see whats available in my price range.

I only do road riding, so a road bike made sense for faster progress. A friend of mine had a Mongoose Sabrossa hybrid and its no easier than my MTB to ride on the road.

im looking for something for fast road use, that is easy to build up speed on, hence me looking at road bikes.

OP
OP
R

rjkc600

hi guys,

Quick update.

I am buying a specialized Allez 27 from evans for £566. rode one today and its awesome. 58cm frame model ordered.

Cant wait now!

;)

Any suggestions on a cheaper road bike under £400 that has 21 gears or more? my friend wants one but his budget is a little lower than mine.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
We'll be wanting pics of this purchase when you have it in your mitts! ;)

Regards,
SD

stoofer

Congrats on your imminent new bike, I picked up an Allez* a few weeks ago and reckon you'll get plenty of enjoyment from it, glad to tell you it gets better the more you ride it!

(*bling white I'm ashamed to say :o) )

OP
OP
R

rjkc600

hi stoofer.

Did you go for the Allez 700 model? the Allez 18 & 27 are listed as matt black only?

I would have loved a white one, so you your lucky! wanna swap!? :tongue:

Garz

Squat Member
rjkc600 said:
Any suggestions on a cheaper road bike under £400 that has 21 gears or more? my friend wants one but his budget is a little lower than mine.

Theres a carrera virtuoso for £329 which for what you pay isnt that bad a road bike. Other than that its ebay or your local newspaper for a bargain however you cant pay monthly etc!

Top Bottom