Newbie from hull

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paddy

Hi All, I'm a new rider who is fairly fit doing 10-15 miles a every other day. Started riding 4 weeks ago have done one 35 mile ride and two 25 mile rides.Is this a good standard of road cycling to start with or am I a long way off a good standard? I want to up the milage on a weekend and maybe do a 40 mile to 50 mile in the next couple of weeks. I rode the 35 mile's in 1 hour 45 mins, but was knackerd when I finished, just wanted to know if i should join a club or not.

Keith Oates

Janner
Hi Paddy and welcome to the forum. As for your questions there are no real definitive answers but if you're riding 10 to 15 miles every other day then that's good for someone who has only just started riding. As for the other distance questions, the main thing is to keep riding and increasing your distances BUT don't be in too much of a hurry in going for the longer rides. If you're feeling tired or have sore legs etc. then take a break or slowdown until you feel better. However from what you've done so far I don't think it will be long before the longer rides will be a regular feature of your weekly cycling.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bauldbairn

Hello Paddy and welcome to the Cycle Chat forums. :smile:

It sounds like you've got off to a good start - thinking of doing 50 miles after only 4 weeks is maybe a wee bit much. You will know yourself if you're capable of doing it - just watch and not burn yourself out too soon. Take a rest if you need it and remember to eat something and drink plenty of fluids.

Joining a club sounds like a good idea because it will give you something to gauge your achievements against.

Good luck with your challenges. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
P

Paddy

Hi Paddy and welcome to the forum. As for your questions there are no real definitive answers but if you're riding 10 to 15 miles every other day then that's good for someone who has only just started riding. As for the other distance questions, the main thing is to keep riding and increasing your distances BUT don't be in too much of a hurry in going for the longer rides. If you're feeling tired or have sore legs etc. then take a break or slowdown until you feel better. However from what you've done so far I don't think it will be long before the longer rides will be a regular feature of your weekly cycling.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the advice, will take it on board.

Regards

Paddy

OP
OP
P

Paddy

Hello Paddy and welcome to the Cycle Chat forums. :smile:

It sounds like you've got off to a good start - thinking of doing 50 miles after only 4 weeks is maybe a wee bit much. You will know yourself if you're capable of doing it - just watch and not burn yourself out too soon. Take a rest if you need it and remember to eat something and drink plenty of fluids.

Joining a club sounds like a good idea because it will give you something to gauge your achievements against.

Good luck with your challenges. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice, my legs did feel a bit sore after the 35 mile's.

regards

Paddy

OP
OP
P

Paddy

Hi Gerry Attrick, looking forward to using the forum and getting some good advice as I am new to cycling.

cheers

Paddy

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Hi Gerry Attrick, looking forward to using the forum and getting some good advice as I am new to cycling.

cheers

Paddy
That's what the forum is for so feel free to ask anything. Also keep a lookout for rides in East Yorkshire organised by forum members. Very informal and friendly. You'd be most welcome.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Hi paddy & welcome

there area few local clubs all are good

http://veloclubbeverley.org.uk/

http://www.hullthursdayrc.co.uk/

http://www.cityroadclubhull.org.uk/

deepnds where you live to which one you choose

I've never bothered,but that is more to do with family circs and comitment to a club.

You could just try doing Time trials on your own (without a club) if you wish, 'comedy pilot' has been doing this as the 'test of self'. (see racing?)

important is just to enjoy it & not overdo it.

Locally we have been a bit rubbish in organisng rides this year - (though you missed the big G sportive)

most invlove more time off the bike eating cake rather than riding, though it would be nice to have one 'good one' before the end of summer...

just enjoy

postman

Legendary Member
Great start to your cycling .Keep it up .Never beat yourself up over the distances you do .Some days you might go out and think .Not today .Others out all day .Enjoy .

Just like i enjoy your whisky .

OP
OP
P

Paddy

Hi All, I'm a new rider who is fairly fit doing 10-15 miles a every other day. Started riding 4 weeks ago have done one 35 mile ride and two 25 mile rides.Is this a good standard of road cycling to start with or am I a long way off a good standard? I want to up the milage on a weekend and maybe do a 40 mile to 50 mile in the next couple of weeks. I rode the 35 mile's in 1 hour 45 mins, but was knackerd when I finished, just wanted to know if i should join a club or not.

Hi All , thanks for advice will take on board.

Top Bottom