Newbie girlie question.....

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Location
Wolves
What is the difference between a double and triple chain set?

I have only had triple sets (is this 3rd ring what my roadie friend at work calls the granny gear??).

Does it mean that I won't get smaller gears for steep hills.

Sorry if I sound like a complete novice but .... I am on this subject!!!!

Thanks
 
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Location
Wolves
Aww thanks Paul! You got in first though :wacko:

Ok, so I'm fairly bike fit but always had a triple. If you've read my other post, I want to get rid of the drop bar Trek I have *shame*. I quite fancy the Cinelli Hoy Hoy Rats but think it's a double.

Crank set FSA 34/50
Freewheel Shimano 12/25 8 speed

I hope I've quoted the right things.

I'm just worried that I will look a right moose on an especially steep hill???
 

domtyler

Über Member
User obviously has an automated script scanning this forum for any new thread with the words new and girl in it!! :wacko: :wacko:
 
snapper_37 said:
Aww thanks Paul! You got in first though :wacko:

Ok, so I'm fairly bike fit but always had a triple. If you've read my other post, I want to get rid of the drop bar Trek I have *shame*. I quite fancy the Cinelli Hoy Hoy Rats but think it's a double.

Crank set FSA 34/50
Freewheel Shimano 12/25 8 speed

I hope I've quoted the right things.

I'm just worried that I will look a right moose on an especially steep hill???
That there bolded be a so called compact. The 34 front and 25 rear will give you a gear which will get up most hills. It's probably not too far away from the triple you have/had.

For instance I have a triple which is 30 front 25 rear, not so different. A compact will give you a wider spread of gears over a smaller range. You'd need to clue us up on which gears you currently have and ride so we can advise on whether it would suit.
 
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Location
Wolves
Hi Crackle, I ride a Trek 1.2 Pilot WSD and a Scott Sportster P1. Most of the time I use the 1st and 2nd cog (2 biggest). Blimey I sound so daft! B

Trek:
CRANKSET : Bontrager Select 52/42/30
CASSETTE : Sram PG950 12-26, 9 speed

SCOTT:
"Shimano Deore XT, RD-M772,
27 Speed"

Front Derailleur
Shimano Deore LX FD-M581 31.8mm clamp

Shifters

Chainset
Truvativ Firex 3.1 black 48x38x26 w CG

Bottom Bracket

Chain

Freewheel
Shimano HG-50-9, 11-32T

I think I've picked out the bits of info you need above.

Thanks a lot for your advice.

Oh ... and what are most hills??? Lol, I think the hills you guys ride up are a bit different to mine, so to speak :wacko:
 

domtyler

Über Member
snapper_37 said:
Good job I'm not polite then! :wacko:
Damn!! :wacko: Will probably be seeing you in Soapbox in that case!
 
snapper_37 said:
Hi Crackle, I ride a Trek 1.2 Pilot WSD and a Scott Sportster P1. Most of the time I use the 1st and 2nd cog (2 biggest). Blimey I sound so daft! B
Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions or teaching you to suck eggs. Do you mean 1st and 2nd at the back or the front. Generally you refer to the front ones as chainrings and the rear ones as cogs or rear block/cassette. Also with the rear the smallest is the first gear and the largest the last gear.

So it's useful to know which combination you choose on the flat and climbing i.e. do you ride the large front chainwheel with the rear largest 2 cogs on the flat and the inner chainring (your Granny ring) and two largest rear cogs when climbing, or some other combination?

Don't know the Scott but I know the Trek.
 
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Location
Wolves
Hi Crackly - you're not asking dumb questions at all - it's me!!

I usually ride either the 1st or 2nd chain rings at the front. The back cassette, I kind of go with the flow - whatever feels comfortable at the time I suppose.

User - WEST midlands, you know - the really posh area :wacko:
 
snapper_37 said:
Hi Crackly - you're not asking dumb questions at all - it's me!!

I usually ride either the 1st or 2nd chain rings at the front. The back cassette, I kind of go with the flow - whatever feels comfortable at the time I suppose.

User - WEST midlands, you know - the really posh area ;)
OK, in general terms then, I would say that the compact double setup you've described will suit you well. There is of course some presuming going o there. On the compact you would probably stay in the largest for most riding, dropping to the inner for medium and steep hills.

You always have the option of changing the chainrings on the bike if they don't suit and the rear cassette, though it's nice to avoid that if you can.
 

Bigtallfatbloke

New Member
Hi & welcome.

All I know about those three rings is that they are directly responsible for varying degrees of pain suffered on hills. The big ring = big pain, middle= a bit less pain & the little ring = least pain

...hope that helps:biggrin:
 
Top Bottom