Newbie Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulds

I haven't cycled for around 20 years now and have just signed up to do the 52 mile London Bikeathon in 2 months.

I would really appreciate some training advice if anyone can offer it.

Thanks,

Paul.

Hello Paul,
Ride your bike every day for a little while. The days are longer to allow you some flexibility I hope. Learn about the way your bike feels, behaves. The noises it makes and find out what you can about yourself. Regular rides will get your 'act' together and the thrill of group riding will see you round probably.

Have fun! :smile:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Work out a route around where you live of say 2 miles. Do this every day, maybe twice a day. Then after a few days add a mile or so onto it and ride that for a few days. Then when you are able to do that comfortably add a few more miles on and so on. After a couple of weeks you should be able to ride 10 -15 miles easily. Remember to eat and drink properly, especially before you go out on a ride.

TVC

Welcome Paulds.

What kind of bike are you going to use? I just looked at the event website, and I get the impression that it should be fairly flat and you can go at a steady pace if you wish.

As Paulus noted, if you are cycling any distance, (and you could easily be in the saddle for 4 hours for this one) it becomes more about fuel and fluids than about sheer physical effort. If you search through the 'Health, Fitness and Training' section here there is loads of good nutrition advice.

OP
OP
P

paulds

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'm pretty out of shape but I'm gonna be hitting the gym and will be picking up a new road bike tomorrow so will start getting used to that.

Top Bottom