Newbie here.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Topher30

Hi all
Just registered to cyclechat ,
I bought a second hand Voodoo Bantu MTB about a month ago , I got Halfords to do a free cycle health check which ended up costing me £80 for new cassette , new chain , and a few other things , bike has been spot on (done a few 20 milers) but today when I'm pedalling I'm getting a terrible creaking noise and I'm wondering what it could be ??? I dont really have a clue about bikes so any advice would be much appreciated.
Also is this something that Halfords should have picked up on?
Thanks in advance.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and :welcome: to the forum.

Sorry about that, cant say exactly what that could be. I should run it back to Halfords, sounds like it might be something in the drive train and if it’s anything to do with the work they carried out they should fix it FoC. Don’t let them try and put the blame on you if this is the case.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Topher30

It's coming from either the pedals or crankset??(dont really know anything about bikes) It's only happening when there is weight on pedals ( if I lift bike and turn pedals theres no noise) looking at receipt from halfords a drivetrain service was done.

OP
OP
T

Topher30

Update: took bike to halfords today , they wouldn't look at it as it has to be booked in for assessment, earliest is 1st July which is rediculous.

vickster

Legendary Member
Update: took bike to halfords today , they wouldn't look at it as it has to be booked in for assessment, earliest is 1st July which is rediculous.
That’s not too bad, I booked one of mine into the LBS on Wednesday to get some secondary brakes fitted, soonest they could do is 15th July!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
could be anything , headset, bottom bracket, seatpost , loose crank bolts .
my commuter was creaking when standing up so i pulled the BB and greaes the threads and the inside of the non drive side cup and this in my case fixed it .

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
It's coming from either the pedals or crankset??(dont really know anything about bikes) It's only happening when there is weight on pedals ( if I lift bike and turn pedals theres no noise) looking at receipt from halfords a drivetrain service was done.
Creaks are very hard to identify. But, as above I would first look at the BB. Drop the chain off of the chainrings, hold the cranks and see if there is lateral or vertical movement. If you have the wherewithal to remove the crankset, remove them and undo the BB cups. Clean the threads, apply a thin smear of grease and re assemble.
If you have no joy with that, try the seatpost and saddle clamp.

Top Bottom