Newbie in Essex!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

daveyc2k2

Hi Guys & Gals,

I have just signed up as a complete newbie. I am looking to buy a road bike mainly for commuting (only a couple of miles) and then spending a few hours of a weekend out on. Possibly if I enjoy it then progressing on to a club etc, but who knows.

Thought I would join so I can get plenty of advice in terms of cost, brands and what I need etc.

Look forward to hopefully getting involved on here.

Dave

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome:

Greetings from an exiled Brentwood cyclist .

Plenty of info, advice and laughs here, so get stuck in.

There're cyclists from all corners of the UK (inc. Scotland, so far ;)) so you should be able to find a CC group ride somewhere local(ish) in London, the south east and the home counties.

Diggs

Veteran
Hi Dave, and welcome from just down the road. You're in a ideal location, whether it's a lazy pootle round the local parks or a more energetic ride out into the country lanes (and only one big hill ;) )

compo

Veteran
Hi Dave and welcome from another from just up the road. Hope you find the right bike and enjoy your cycling.

Hi Dave, and welcome from just down the road. You're in a ideal location, whether it's a lazy pootle round the local parks or a more energetic ride out into the country lanes (and only one big hill ;) )
What are you talking about??

Essex has the greatest number and steepest hills in the UK. And don't try and argue as that's a fact.

Lisat

Essex has the greatest number and steepest hills in the UK. And don't try and argue as that's a fact.

Welcome. enjoy getting your bike. I bought one this year and it has been brilliant.
And Dorset is really flat cycling country. Fact.

Diggs

Veteran

OK @0-markymark-0 if you say so. To be honest, the only thing in Essex I've seen that are Hors Catégorie are my bathroom taps.....
hors cat.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi and :welcome: Dave

Do you have a budget in mind? Around £300 will get you a decent starter road bike and in general they get lighter and are fitted with better quality components as the price goes up.

The Carrera TDF from Halfords and the Btwin Triban range from Decathlon are quite popular on here as starter bikes.

Effyb4

Veteran
Hi Dave

From deepest, darkest south Essex. I bought a road bike in the spring this year and haven't looked back. My son has just got a road bike from Decathlon. It's a very good bike for the money. Enjoy :bicycle:

OP
OP
daveyc2k2

daveyc2k2

Thanks for the replies guys. I have looked at both Halfords and Decathlon and thought they looked very good value for money.

I went into the local CyclesUK and they advised spending a bit more circa £600 on something a bit better as I won't need to change components so often as if I bought something cheaper and that I should be fitted for a bike to make sure the frame and length etc is right for me.

I'm still keen to go cheaper but halfords only seem to have the Carrera TDF Ltd in a 51" frame which at 6ft I understand will probably be a bit small for me? Is that right?

Top Bottom