Newbie luggage question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

macp

Guru
Dear all

New here and just ordered a Specialized Secteur for my commute to work.Im fedup with the sweaty back issue so I would really like some kind of luggage system to carry a change of clothes, lunch that sort of thing.I was thinking of the Tortec Velocity rack with Altura Arran 36 panniers.The other option would be a seatpost type product.

What do people think would really appreciate thoughts & comments.

Thanks in advance.

Arch

Married to Night Train
It's hard to tell from a photo, but it looks as if the Secteur has bosses for a rack, so that's ok. If it hasn't, you can still fit a rack, but may need to do a workaround with P-clips. I'd tend to prefer a 'proper' rack to a seatpost mounted one - although others may disagree.

Tortec racks are good value, and Altura are good too - so I don't see a problem with the kit you've picked out.

Panniers are the way to go - apart from saving you carrying a rucksack, you're also set up for some light touring!

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Cheers Arch
Yes it does have the lugs for a rack and my LBS reckons the beauty of the velocity rack is how narrow it is to prevent your heels hitting the bags.

MGBLemonrider

I use a Carradice SQR Tour seat post bag, which is fine for my daily needs: Shirt; pants; socks: running kit for lunch time - top, Ron Hills, pants socks, Bag of 4 pieces of fruit and a couple of cereal bars. Then can add trousers or towel when they need washing. Side pockets take tubes; tools and puncture kit.
Used since Christmas daily no water leakage issues, every thing into a bag for life which gets stuffed into the Carradice. Quick and easy. I leave it on and just take my carrier bag out as left in secure parking, though the whole bag does unclip easily.
Minus points - the flap clip is under the rear so does get covered road grime. The SQR block prevents fitment of light or reflector to sear post, couldn't be used when bag in position, though there is a strap/light loop on the bag. So best light fitted on to seat stay.
I'm very pleased with it , though was quite pricey. Would recommend it provided you don't want to go touring ( with more gear) then a rack and panniers would be better.

In short - seat post - day bag - keeps your bikes lines.
- rack and panniers - ultimate load carrying = looks like a tourer

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I'd go for a Carradice of some sort too, personally.

I found panniers too large for my commute most days, and inevitably succumbed to the temptation to overfill them.

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Well I bit the bullet and decided to go with a Tortec Velocity rack and Altura Arran 36 panniers.What the hey if I dont like it I can always flog em on ebay.

Thanks all for posting your comments.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Arch said:
It's hard to tell from a photo, but it looks as if the Secteur has bosses for a rack, so that's ok. If it hasn't, you can still fit a rack, but may need to do a workaround with P-clips. I'd tend to prefer a 'proper' rack to a seatpost mounted one - although others may disagree.

Tortec racks are good value, and Altura are good too - so I don't see a problem with the kit you've picked out.

Panniers are the way to go - apart from saving you carrying a rucksack, you're also set up for some light touring!

Yup .

I have a seat post rack on my roady and i am going to take it off and sell it, only 4 months old but i prefer a full time rack.

Top Bottom