Newbie - need advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
N

Novice

Wow thanks for all the replies!!

Right, so my plan of action is that my hubby is going to try his saddle on my bike, I had a quick go on it a couple of weekends ago and although it was sore it wasn't numb, though I didn't go far that day. He's also going to try swapping my handlebars for the ones off his old bike which have a longer stem. I want to just see if this would work before spending any money on anything!

If I'm OK with the different saddle and handlebars combo then I'll stick with that for a while until I have a bit of spare cash to go bike shopping!

Thanks again for all your advice, it's reassuring to know that I'm not the first to have this problem, I'll let you all know how I get on after the weekend!

515mm

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Good shorts(Corrine Dennis is a good producer - Google the name) and a wider, female specific saddle that is firm (not hard) and ain't squishy is a great place to start. A 21" MTB frame for a 5'10" rider sounds a bit big especially if it's a gents frame (longer in the top tube than a female specific one which'll make you stretch to the bars and tilt your pelvis forward, squashing your undercarriage.) Move your seat forward to correct this.

Keep in touch and good luck!

threefingerjoe

Über Member
quoted from "The Pedaller's A-Z":

BROOKS SADDLE. Constructed of hard leather, sometimes mistaken for titanium. Must be broken in -- the rider, that is. Favoured by traditional cyclists who traditionally forgo comfort for pain, which may account for the awful grimaces you sometimes see on their faces. Not so bad once you go numb. Recommended for male cyclists who wish to remain without issue. [Brooks veterans may regard this entry as outrageous hyperbole, to which we respond: yeah, all right, probably.]

That being said, I ride a Brooks B-67, which is a wide, sprung saddle, and I really like it. I went with the wide sprung model, since the saddle is on a hybrid, with a more upright riding position. On a drop-bar bike, the B-17 would probably be a more suitable saddle.

All arses are not created equal, which is probably why there are so many different saddles available. I would agree with those who have said that, in general, a harder saddle ends up being more comfortable over the long haul, than the soft, squishy one. Saddle position is critical. Also, no matter which saddle you buy, you'll have to get used to it. You have to develop "biker's butt".

(Incidentally, comparing a Brooks saddle to titaneum is a bit harsh. I think a much better comparison would be.....WOOD. ;-) )

Top Bottom