Newbie need to do 50 mile cycle help !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alexd

hi guys,
i haven't been on my racer for a few years and the other day i stupidly agreed to do a 50 mile cycle challenge for diabetes uk in the peak district, the problem is i am a bit unfit now and i have less then 2 months to get ready. about 2 years back i cycled 47 miles without any preparation but i was totally shattered when i finished and i want to be in a better state this time, 2 days back i cycled 14 miles to start with and i felt pretty good but i was wondering how often should i train ? and how far should i push myself on each session ? any hints and tips anyone could give me would be fantastic thanks .alex

Berties

Fast and careful!
47 miles would have left you shattered!! thats 3 hours in the saddle at slow club pace,you will have to consider,your diet i.e. hydration and snacks on the day and pre event,start at say 20 ish now and add 5 miles a week,keep your cadence up,do not go in a to high gear,works well for longer trips,again experiment with snacking see what works for you,train as you can,but rest is important,consider bike maintenance for the day and before,spare tubes etc,don't worry you can do it ,but train and do it in style

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
2 months is tight, but you look like you have a good level of base fitness.

I'd push your riding up to 40 miles a couple of weeks before the event (e.g. by increasing by 5 miles each week). Given the weather, I'd make sure that you take on plenty of water during the ride - you can easily finish a 750ml bottle in 40 miles. Also work out what you want to nibble during the ride - I recommend Jelly Babies.

Other than that - you should be OK. Get your bum used to long times in the sadlle, don't train hard if your legs hurt, and get out and enjoy the weather and countryside.

aJohnson

Hey, I think I may be doing that ride too. I presume it's hilly because it's in the Peaks? So you'll need to make some of your rides hilly.

As BrumJim said, increase it by so much each week, and make sure you focus and get used to hydration and eating on the bike.

OP
OP
A

alexd

thanks for the advice guys.I did a 20 mile ride today and felt ok again so i will keep adding 5 miles on. another thing i was going to ask is do most people use water bottles as i have a camelback and im not sure whats the best option.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
thanks for the advice guys.I did a 20 mile ride today and felt ok again so i will keep adding 5 miles on. another thing i was going to ask is do most people use water bottles as i have a camelback and im not sure whats the best option.

Personally I hate anything on my back when cycling and it will make you sweat more thus losing even more fluid. Having said that lots of people use them so its up to you.

by the sound of it take enough water and food and you will do the distance no bother. With only a couple of months to go dont over train. You need a few rest days each week. When I did my first century the furthest I had previously ridden was 60 miles so dont stress too much about it if you only do 30 or so in training.

If the route is hilly you definitely need to practice on hills .

Good Luck and enjoy it.

aJohnson

Where abouts are you based by the way?

Most roadies prefer water bottles I think, I don't like having something like a bag on my back whilst riding.

OP
OP
A

alexd

I must admit i had a sweaty back today ^_^ the thing is i put my food and emergency food in my camelback (being diabetic i take extras just in case) so come to think of it i may be best putting up with it,i just didnt want to look like a plank being the only one that uses one. im based in the west midlands dudley, once again thanks for your help guys.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Hi Alex. If you can do a 14 and a 20 miler and still feel 'ok' then I am sure you will build up to your 50 miles in the manner described above with very little trouble. You will often read on this forum stories of people who really are just starting out and are half dead after covering just 5 miles. You have cycled before and have the knowledge and confidence that you can ride longer distances. This is a big advantage as otherwise the fear of the unknown (distance/effort etc) can be almost crippling. Knowing you can do something is a big part of the battle, carry on as you are and good luck! Actually I don't mean luck because you don't need it, I mean fun. Enjoy your ride and the satisfaction that will follow.

Top Bottom