Newbie needing advise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andrew_rc46

Hi all,its late in the year to be starting out i know, however after riding to work everyday for the last 2years i decided to go a little further after work 4/5 times per week, ive found myself doing 15 to 30 miles and really enjoying it :smile:

I decided to join my companies cycle to work scheme, i hope to pick up my new bike (giant defy 5) shoes and new helmet this week, i also purchased some Chinese winter riding gear (bib tights and long sleeved top) they were rather cheap so i thought what the heck give em a go. not sure if I'm going about this all the wrong way tbh

I would like to join a local club, but i really enjoy riding on my own (no pressure and my own pace) i never thought that id like cycle so much.

I'm not a stereotypical trucker either, I eat well i drink infrequently and i don't smoke 6' tall and 13st 3.

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
:welcome: You might find a local club in this thread http://www.cyclechat.net/forums/cycling-clubs.49/

Fubar

Guru
Hi all,its late in the year to be starting out i know, however after riding to work everyday for the last 2years i decided to go a little further after work 4/5 times per week, ive found myself doing 15 to 30 miles and really enjoying it :smile:

I decided to join my companies cycle to work scheme, i hope to pick up my new bike (giant defy 5) shoes and new helmet this week, i also purchased some Chinese winter riding gear (bib tights and long sleeved top) they were rather cheap so i thought what the heck give em a go. not sure if I'm going about this all the wrong way tbh

I would like to join a local club, but i really enjoy riding on my own (no pressure and my own pace) i never thought that id like cycle so much.

I'm not a stereotypical trucker either, I eat well i drink infrequently and i don't smoke 6' tall and 13st 3.

Good on you, just enjoy doing what you are doing - I think Aldi are having a cycle event this Thursday as well if you need any more gear. All the best, Mark

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Hi @andrew_rc46 & :welcome: from the Peoples Republic of Mancunia.

There are a good few Truckers on here I believe @smokeysmoo who gets some miles in on the bike.

At 6ft & 13st 5lb we could be twins (not likely though).

I digress, enjoy your new found love of cycling.

If you're not quite ready for a club (I'm not either) why not try the occasional sportive, sometimes held on closed roads, not a race as such, just a challenge, they differ in difficulty & length, so you choose what's best for you.

Most clubs run with different groups riding at a different pace & have a short ride/long ride option.

In any case you are bound to make many new friends along the way.

Best of British (inc Scotland).

Last edited:
I would like to join a local club, but I really enjoy riding on my own (no pressure and my own pace) i never thought that id like cycle so much.

I'm not a stereotypical trucker either, I eat well I drink infrequently and i don't smoke 6' tall and 13st 3.

:welcome: Andrew. I don't consider myself a stereotypical trucker either TBH, although I do eat too much :blush:, (I'm 6' 5" and must have been 13st 3 - once upon a time ;)) Although I don't smoke or eat Yorkies and I give cyclists and other non-motorised forms of transport more room than anyone else I know :angel:

As for clubs, personally they don't interest me at all. I too like riding at my own pace, and although a few of us sometimes get together, on the whole I'm usually a solo rider TBH.

The other thing with clubs is that I don't want to spend all day at it either. I'm happy to go out, get round and get back, and that does me fine :thumbsup:

I have done a fair few sportive rides like @SteCenturion mentioned, and they can be a great day out every now and then, but they can also be a nightmare with inexperienced riders all over the roads and clubs tearing along in their trains with little or no concern/respect for other riders, so whilst they can be fun you do need to research them before hand and choose wisely.

Two examples down here are the Manchester 2 Blackpool and the Great Manchester Cycle, both are dominated by inexperienced charity riders, (the standard of some riding I've seen has been shocking TBH!), and clubs thinking they own the road!

I'm not knocking them, (the charity riders), as such a ride is a massive challenge for some of them, but I've had too many near misses on such rides to want to do one again:stop:

You've also got the argument about entry fees. The GMC has been great VFM so far TBH, but the M2B ride does cost a few quid, all of which goes to the organisers which does nark some people.

At the end of the day these rides are held on open roads, so if you wanted to try one, (or just part of one), there is nothing to stop you tagging along and then you can donate the whole entry fee to a charity of your choice as well :thumbsup:

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Yeah agreed @smokeysmoo

I went to the Bolton Bash last week, didn't ride it, just to observe & cheer my mate on.

There were a fair few wobblers but then I was on the steepest climb, to be fair we all have to start somewhere.

The best point you make there is about over zealous clubs/riders who might have an "out of my way" attitude, they tend to spoil things a little but then some others are fine.

Occasional sportives like you say is probably the way to go, & maybe avoid the longest/hardest options until confident & very fit.

For now, I will remain mostly a lone rider too.

Top Bottom