Newbie needs help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Carlito117

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum so hello!

Generally I'm new to cycling too, but have been well and truly bitten by the cycling bug! I bought myself a basic hybrid bike during the summer, mainly just for lesuirely tootling around the coastline. Over the past few weeks I've doing more and more, and as I got into it I realised I really need a new bike. I bought an Apollo CX10 from my local Halfords (cue sniggers from the seasoned pros on here), but as I've got into cycling more I realise that me bog-standard bike just aint gonna cut it.
I'm a newbie with bikes, and I'm looking to buy in the next few weeks.
I've been looking into some different bikes, here's the ones that have caught my eye.... could any people chip-in with their views on these bikes? It's be great to get some wide-spread opinion on them:

Trek 7.3
Claud Butler Urban 300
Specialized Globe
Specialized Globe Sport
Scott Sub 30

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me, it'll be majorly appreciated!

Carl

domtyler

Über Member
Hi Carl, welcome to the forum.

My wife has the Globe Sport woman's version with a step through frame, it is a really great bike with lots of cool features. Don't know anything about the other ones.

I am concerned that you are wanting to change bikes so soon though. What is it about your existing one that you don't like? Most people buy a hybrid when they first start cycling but then upgrade to a more specific style of bike, like a road racing bike or a touring bike when they decide what kind of riding they enjoy most. You seem to be going from one hybrid to another though.

OP
OP
C

Carlito117

..thanks for the reply.

Yeah it's my intention to move to another hybrid, becuase of the flexibilty it has. I really like the Trek 7.3 too.
The problem that I have with my current bike is that it is REALLY basic. The V-brakes work ok, but the levers are really low quality plastic. The frame is really quite heavy which has a big affect on what speed I can get on it. The wheels are fairly low quality. The gear system is shocking, it's an 18-speed but around 10-12 of the gears don't actually work properly.
Generally it's a good bike for lesuire, but I'm starting to hit between 25-30 miles per ride, and I'm doing the coast 2 coast ride next year.
I've seen the Trek 7.5, it's a hybrid but seems to lean more towards racing which I really like.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hi Carlito

I started commuting on a rubbish £90 rusty mountain bike back in July but recently upgraded to a Globe. Huge difference and I am very happy with it. Got mine from Evans in the sale (£200 reduced from £250). Only thing I have changed is to put a non-sus seatpost in & changed the pedals from the weird oval plates it comes with.

Good luck!

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Hi Carl,

I test rode the Trek 7.3FX, the 7.5FX and the Specialized Globe, among others.

I liked the Treks a lot, and probably would have bought a 7.3 if they hadn't run out of stock, but I didn't find that much difference in ride between the 7.3 and 7.5.

I found the Globe seemed to be more of a comfort bike, slower and more upright and rather heavier in feel.

From my (admittedly limited) experience and what you suggest you're after I'd say the Trek would be better than the Globe - no experience of the CB or the Scott.

Top Bottom