Newbie Question. Which Tyre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I will, I think, soon need new tyres on my bike. It is a Trek 1.2.

I fancy Schwalbe tyres, should I go for the Durano Plus, or the Marathon Plus? The fitted tyres are 700 x 23c, can I get away with 700 x 25? Will I notice any difference in rolling resistance?

sabian92

Über Member
I've read apparently the Durano's are slightly heavier than the Marathons, but I've only ever had marathons. I went from 23s to 25s, so you'll be fine, and you'll be able to go up to a fair bit bigger/smaller than that. If you do go for the marathons (from experience) get somebody else to fit them if you've never done it before. They're a bloody murder to fit and if they knacker it you get a free tyre :biggrin:

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
For me, it would depend on what you mainly use your bike for.

If its commuting where you really dont want to be fixing a puncture on the way to work, or after you have finished then I would go for the Marathon Plus. If its mainly for leisure where a puncture is an inconvienience rather than a "day ruiner" then go with the Durano plus.

USeful links...

http://www.schwalbe....urano-plus.html

http://www.schwalbe....urano-plus.html

Edit: I usually buy my tyres from ebay where you can get a good deal if you are buying a pair. Highonbikes or absolute bikes (or is it absolutecycles) usually seem to be good.

mistercharly

The durano + is a fastish road tyre with a puncture-resistant layer, like marathon+ but a thinner layer.

It is very hard to fit.

The durano plus is NOT heavier than a marathon plus, in fact it is less than half the weight.

The Durano+ can be a bitch to fit, but Marathons are an out and out bastard!

Fortunately they are show freakin' good you don't need to do it very often :thumbsup:

WOW! Marathons fitted without using levers, never thought I'd see the day, that guys my new hero! Top tip with the straps :thumbsup:

potsy

Rambler
I found my Durano+ easy to fit compared to the Conti 4 Season it replaced. Strange how some tyres are harder to get on the same rim :wacko:

Have become a bit of a Schwalbe man now, runnung M+, Marathon, Durano+, Durano on my 2 bikes and don't plan to change any time soon.
Also got the Marathon Winters ready to go when it turns frosty :thumbsup:

Only downside is the prices seem to be going thru the roof on certain sites, £33 for a Durano+
ohmy.gif
think I paid £26 just 6 months ago.

Top Bottom