Newbie questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all

I'm new to cycling, being an injured runner, I've taken to 2 wheels.

I've only been riding less than a week, and I've clocked up 35 miles already.

My 10 mile rides are taking me about 40 minutes at the moment.

With cycling, do I need to worry too much about rest days like with running?

Also, how quickly can I build up distance? I'd like to crack the hour barrier before long, but don't want to do too much too soon and cause myself problems.

Any advice gratefully received :smile:

Nebulous

Guru
Hi Eddie and welcome,

the answer as with so many things is - it depends!

How fit are you, how does the bike fit, do you get any discomfort when riding?How easy does 10 miles feel? What kind of bike are you on?

I was old, fat and unfit when I first started - but I got fedup of 10 miles very quickly and pretty soon jumped to 30. Its often quoted to add 10% at a time, but at 10 miles that isn't very much. An hour on a bike isn't like an hour running, its easier to take a break on a bike, and an hour would be easier than it is running. You need to be aware of any injury you're carrying though, try not to exacerbate it.

the snail

Guru
Hi Eddie
10 miles in 40min is very respectable pace in your first week, you're obviously pretty fit. I think the main thing is to get out on the bike regularly, you should be able to up the mileage pretty quickly, just common sense really, see how you feel at the end of a ride. If you're not in serious pain after 10 miles, then 15 or 20 miles is probably doable, if you can do 20 miles then try 25 or 30. I don't think you need to worry too much about rest days as such unless you're training intensively, but your legs will tell you - if they're still aching the next day then have a day off or do a gentle ride. I wouldn't worry about how fast you're going, better to take it gently especially at the start of a ride and concentrate on getting the miles in.

Mike5537

I've been pretty unfit for years now, literally no exercise for years. I've borrowed a 20 year old road bike off a family member and went out and found a nice 8 mile circuit which the first time was hard with the hills, the 2nd time a few days later left me wanting more so today I headed out and did 21 miles, yes the hills left me panting but 2 mins on the flat and I was fine! I would have gone much further but the seat dropped to the frame and made it very hard to ride! I obviously didnt tighten the bolt enough! So if I can manage that I'm sure an ex runner will have no problems matching or bettering that distance. Also the Strava app helps monitor your progress and motivate you to try harder next ride! :biggrin:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Powely

Hi, I'm new to cycling too (about 4/6 weeks) and I'm currently averaging 25-30 mile rides. I'm hardly fit, I haven't done hardly any exercise for many years so I imagine you'll be soon be up to 30 miles and more in no time. I just increased my miles as it felt comfortable. Good luck, not that it sounds like you need it.

OP
OP
Gruff Eddie

Gruff Eddie

Regular
Hi guys

Thanks for the replies. I am fairly fit. I have ran a marathon and a couple of half marathons this year. I am carrying an Achilles injury - tendinitis, and my physio has suggested cycling as part of my treatment.

I am riding a borrowed mountain bike, which is slightly small for me, it's a 22" frame, and I'm 6' 5". I think I'll be bike shopping in the next few weeks.

I think I'll go for the hour either tomorrow or Saturday morning and see how I get on.

Thanks again! Gruff

Powely

I am fairly fit. I have ran a marathon and a couple of half marathons this year.

You're a million times fitter than me then. I would imagine you could ride 30 miles easily but not sure if/how your injury will hinder you. Are you riding off road then? I ride a road bike and I think it's easier to clock up the miles on a road bike. I would only go for a mountain bike if you are going off road, there's all kinds of options for different terrain. Depending on where you plan to ride you could look at the various option to when you go bike shopping. Do you have an independent bike shop local to you? If so, I've found the best advice at these type of places as it's usually ran by real cyclists.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Being a Marathon runner you'll have excellent cardio-vascular fitness and core/leg strength so you'll be fine. OK, the muscles used on a bike vary but you'll soon adapt. Make sure you warm-up and warm down gently and stretch afterwards.
As said, distance builds on a bike far faster than it does running. It's what's fab about riding a bike. As you extend distance, make sure you keep fuelling. Running feels much harder work compared to cycling and it's easy to be lulled into a false sense of effort on a bike, so keep eating and drinking.
Rest days are important.
A decent fitting bike is important: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm
A decent bike makes the whole experience more wonderful.
Read 'Cyclecraft' by Franklin - how to survive on the roads.

Oh, and welcome to the strangely satisfying world of cycling ....

OP
OP
Gruff Eddie

Gruff Eddie

Regular
Hi Powely

Nope I'm riding on the road. I'm riding a mountain bike as it was readily available, and free. I think I'll either get an entry level road bike, or a hybrid when I shop. There are a couple of decent bike shops around here, so I'll go and get some advice.

The idea up a hard ride from a road bike does put me off, but I probably just need to grow a pair and man up :biggrin:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
When I started cycling (after running) because my legs were strong I had a tendency to try speed up by pushing a heavier gear, rather than spinning faster in an easier gear and I think it was putting quite a strain on my joints. No idea if itll be the same for you, and welcome :smile:

Powely

The idea up a hard ride from a road bike does put me off

It does feel hard at first but after a couple of rides out you REALLY won't notice it. I've even been taking mine on a mildly uneven gravel path and it feels fine. I like the lightness and solid feel of power transfer (hope that makes sense, I don't know the true technical term) of a road bike so much I wouldn't look at any other bike unless I was going fully off road.

lulubel

Über Member
I am carrying an Achilles injury - tendinitis, and my physio has suggested cycling as part of my treatment.

This isn't likely to be a problem being on a mountain bike on the road, but make sure you don't "grind" high gears. Try to stay in low gears and spin the pedals quite fast - your cv fitness will be well up to it! Your Achilles still gets a workout when you're cycling, but spinning the pedals keeps it gentle.

Berties

Fast and careful!
I would be careful about buying a road bike that is wrong,I was told to slow up the running 35-40 miles a week, was doing my knees in,and had a bit of muscle wastage in areas,advised to by the physio!!,bought a entry bike at easter and this week had to buy a full carbon bike, just got to keep bettering my times,if your time of 10 miles in 40 mins is correct,not bad going !!you will be flying on a good bike,so buy once and buy right,I also commute so my first bike was flat bar so its well used,a good bike shop will have some test rides i know mine has!! I ride with one of the physics from my practice so I am privy to informed info all the time,my knees get stiff,if i go down on my haunches after a long ride,but my legs are stronger than ever,good luck with your choices you won't look back

OP
OP
Gruff Eddie

Gruff Eddie

Regular
Thanks Bertie. I was up to running about 40 miles a week while marathon training and before my injury - just shy of 500 miles this year.

I'm really in two minds between buying a road bike or a hybrid. I think I'll go and have a chat with my friendly local bike shop.

I am currently bikeless, as the chain on my borrowed mountain bike decided to break and throw me off earlier, so I think I'll be making a decision sooner rather than later.

Top Bottom