Newbie questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Diddon

Had my bike nearly a week now and covered about 150 miles I have two questions

I get a little numb feeling in my right hand when cycling and I'm used to exercising but some days my thighs ache more than normal is this due to something on the bike not being at the right height?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
What's the bike? Your thoughts ache???

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Thighs are highly likely them getting used to the cycling

Numb feeling is quite common in cycling, something to do with the Ulna Nerve. Padded gloves help me no end

wintergreen

I find on longer rides I get a pins and needles/numb sort of feeling in one hand, its usually because I have kept my hand in the same position for too long. Change hand positions on the bars, maybe 10 minutes on the drops or on the flat part of the bars rather than constantly riding on the hoods.

OP
OP
Diddon

Diddon

Thanks guys, i have ordered some new gloves with more padding in the palms,

think i will just have to let my legs get used to it, only ever cycled twice a week before about 60 miles in total now cycling at least 6 days a week just over 200 miles a week now

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
yup, sounds like your quads (thighs) are adjusting to the increased miles. Do give yourself a day a week at least to rest though- muscles are no good if they don't have enough to rest and repair. (I've messed up my shoulders this week not following my own rules!). The one thing to consider about numbness in the hands- it does sound like what Wintergreen said re positions and padding but there is a very minute chance that the drops/breaks or setup on the handlebar might be causing issues if they're too high, too low. Get the gloves, vary your hand position and if that doesn't improve, consider the set up. Happy riding!

OP
OP
Diddon

Diddon

Yes I rest on Saturday or Sunday depending on family commitments I don't think it helps having a very physical job

Top Bottom