newbie rider advice needed please!!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
[quote name='strutton1981;1326429][quote name='Elmer Fudd']You need a CycleChat top as well don't ya know!![/QUOTE']are they like a jersey? i wore a t shirt today and it didnt feel right so im gonna have to get something similar[/quote]
These are but precious items of cycling apparel O young one!
But seriously, when this site was but a mere "yoof" someone came up with a brilliant idea of a Cyclechat jersey. so I got one. Now, me being what could be called a passive cyclist, felt a proper nonce the first time I wore mine. That soon wore off through my little "pootles about" though as the sweat was wicked etc. etc. So when I say CycleChat jersey, I'm saying a proper cycling top. But wait until you're sure you're gonna keep it up, they're not exactly cheap, but neither are they expensive (read a half decent Friday night out for you n your lass).
Personally, I love the Northwave Skeleton top (do I look fat in this , Dear??)

OP
OP
S

strutton1981

im gonna look into a top but i might get a cheap 1 first and see how much more weight i lose before i take the plunge, im gonna get a hi vis light weight jacket as well. They was only about 15 quid in decathlon

OP
OP
S

strutton1981

2nd ride tonight 11 miles this time. i didnt time it but averaged 13 mph. But the muscle around my knees know are sore very sore now. im guessing as my cycling fitness improves so does the pain!!

I started on 5 miles each way a year back now, and it took me about a month (at least two weeks!) where I didn't need to stretch my thighs out when I got to work. Expect some odd sore muscles for a bit (and your bum is allowed to hurt for a while as well till it toughens up!) but it will get better ;)

OP
OP
S

strutton1981

my bum isnt to bad its just the mucsles all around my knees. i was going to cycle to work tomorrow, 10 miles each way but i think i will wait until next week and get some more miles under my belt

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Very wise. Pain at the base of the thigh is fine (but needs recovery). Pain at or behind the knee could be a problem indicator. Go easy.

OP
OP
S

strutton1981

its only at the front at the base of the thigh. i think the seat is right my muscles just arent used to it. im gonna wait til thursday to ride to work and give my legs a rest for 2 days just some light gym work.

paulelse

Struggling on club rides

bear with me here people. I am 53 and took up cycling about a year ago. I was a heavy smoker upto 5 years ago when i stopped. I gained weight then decided to get fit by cycling to work and got the bug.

However had an accidnt at work in november and was off for three months but got back and started to improve again. The last 4 weeks ive been working and missed the club rides

Ive never been particularly good on hills or against the wind but last 2 rides, sunday and yesterday was pretty rubbish as it was quite windy. i am finding that its not lung capacity as such although i do get a little breathless but more about power in the legs IE there isnt any so find myself pushing but theres nothing there. If I had more power, i could ride through the breathlessness.

Ive now done over 1750 miles - the club I ride with purports to ride to the slowest rider but it doesnt really and i get dropped and on the whole i dont blame them

I can ride at about 18-20 but then someone decides to kick on and i cant respond

I take kickstart before riding and zero tabs on the ride. Can anyone help with any suggestions for improving further

Top Bottom