Newbie should I upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shropshire65LW

Trek Navigator 200 upgrading parts maybe ’advise’ maybe old now
at the beginning of lockdown I bought this bike used nice clean bike and seems good for what I need ,bitten by the bug I’m enjoying cycling around local countryside , ( first question ) I never use the bottom gear on the crank , is there I upgrade or better combination of front cogs to use , ( excuse my lack of correct technical terms ) I do find the top tube a little short although I have extended frontwards handle bar stem , its good for now but wonder maybe if to look for a bigger frame , and transfer all the bits over ,or look for a better complete bike , I do like the look of these gravel bikes and given the back

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
A few more specs about the bike might help (Google image search results here). Tbh I think it's unusual to find that you never use the lowest gears (especially if you're just starting out) - you've obviously not tackled any "proper" hills yet ;)

Best advice I can give is to keep using this one and figure out exactly what you want that it doesn't have (as you already have done with the frame size) then (unless you really can't wait) apply this solidified knowledge to a purchase once the world's finished ending and the market has returned to some degree of normality.

Due to current demand bike choice is limited and prices high; if you can stomach the wait the process should be a lot easier (and potentially cheaper) once new stock has been replenished, demand has dried up and perhaps some of the hasty purchased made during the lockdown have made their way onto the used market.

Personally I'd not bother swapping components as your current bike will likely be worth more complete and (no offence) it looks like a fairly middling model so you can probably do better (in terms of spec / quality / suitability) with the groupset on a replacement, once you know what you want.

The term "gravel bike" covers a wide range of specs, but if you're road-centric (i.e. not into more hardcore MTB stuff but like to get off the tarmac) I think you'll be hard pushed to find a more versatile machine. I've had mine (Genesis CdF, FWIW) for about 6wks now and absolutely love it. Do note that your current bike has a very upright / relaxed geometry, so you'd probably be well advised to try a gravel bike before parting with any money as it'll be a lot more aggressive.

boydj

Legendary Member
I'd tweak the current bike to get an optimal fit without spending too much money, then give it a couple of months of getting some regular cycling in, building your experience and mileage, getting the cycling habit well established, and then you'll be in a better position to decide how you want to develop your cycling and what upgrades or changes you really need.

OP
OP
Shropshire65LW

Shropshire65LW

A few more specs about the bike might help (Google image search results here). Tbh I think it's unusual to find that you never use the lowest gears (especially if you're just starting out) - you've obviously not tackled any "proper" hills yet ;)

Best advice I can give is to keep using this one and figure out exactly what you want that it doesn't have (as you already have done with the frame size) then (unless you really can't wait) apply this solidified knowledge to a purchase once the world's finished ending and the market has returned to some degree of normality.

Due to current demand bike choice is limited and prices high; if you can stomach the wait the process should be a lot easier (and potentially cheaper) once new stock has been replenished, demand has dried up and perhaps some of the hasty purchased made during the lockdown have made their way onto the used market.

Personally I'd not bother swapping components as your current bike will likely be worth more complete and (no offence) it looks like a fairly middling model so you can probably do better (in terms of spec / quality / suitability) with the groupset on a replacement, once you know what you want.

The term "gravel bike" covers a wide range of specs, but if you're road-centric (i.e. not into more hardcore MTB stuff but like to get off the tarmac) I think you'll be hard pushed to find a more versatile machine. I've had mine (Genesis CdF, FWIW) for about 6wks now and absolutely love it. Do note that your current bike has a very upright / relaxed geometry, so you'd probably be well advised to try a gravel bike before parting with any money as it'll be a lot more aggressive.
Thank for the time you spent with the lengthy reply , yes I get what you are saying , I believe my bike could be 2005 ish a lot of things I get have changed , I’ll try and get the spec of the bike later . Just off out now ,

ive not a lot of money I think for what this bike is and the condition I got a bargain , my thoughts on putt8ng these components on another frame was simply ,thinking the cheapest option but I guess thinking about it it’s a little like sicking a 1990s engine in a Moden car .......

my know is limited as you can tell, the gavel bike I saw had a sloped top tube ,so does my trek , i was short changed in the leg department lol so I find that a advantage , I’m going to upgrade my bars see if that helps with the slightly short top tube my bar turn back a little . So when the shops open I’ll sort that , I think maybe my gears could do with a tweak to my lack of knowledge has kept me from messing with them at present ....

cheers again appreciated

OP
OP
Shropshire65LW

Shropshire65LW

I'd tweak the current bike to get an optimal fit without spending too much money, then give it a couple of months of getting some regular cycling in, building your experience and mileage, getting the cycling habit well established, and then you'll be in a better position to decide how you want to develop your cycling and what upgrades or changes you really need.
Yes makes sense .....thanks for the reply

OP
OP
Shropshire65LW

Shropshire65LW

Parts I may up grade , your recommendations and why , back country lanes and tracks , , no really major up hill challenges
gears ..it’s running
front (3) top 48 bottom 28
rear 14x24 (+ 34T )
rear Derailleur shimano Tourney
front Derailleur shimano C101

bars I’m going to try drops , so I’ll need some levers / shifters .
I may look for a wheel upgrade but not important at the mo

Attachments

• FE028BEC-A45C-4D5F-A66E-F3BB174BB981.jpeg
    FE028BEC-A45C-4D5F-A66E-F3BB174BB981.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 4
  • A5ABB147-95DE-4612-9191-FC3331D70415.jpeg
    A5ABB147-95DE-4612-9191-FC3331D70415.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 420E5711-2C49-46A4-8E9F-28B3BB7F16AE.jpeg
    420E5711-2C49-46A4-8E9F-28B3BB7F16AE.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 59D0E5A6-618D-4E87-97FA-E92FF3107EC6.jpeg
    59D0E5A6-618D-4E87-97FA-E92FF3107EC6.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 3
  • 7B91AFAF-72F2-4FD7-9556-536C0F7ADB99.jpeg
    7B91AFAF-72F2-4FD7-9556-536C0F7ADB99.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 3
Parts I may up grade , your recommendations and why , back country lanes and tracks , , no really major up hill challenges
gears ..it’s running
front (3) top 48 bottom 28
rear 14x24 (+ 34T )
rear Derailleur shimano Tourney
front Derailleur shimano C101

bars I’m going to try drops , so I’ll need some levers / shifters .
I may look for a wheel upgrade but not important at the mo

If you are changing to drops you are better off with a new bike. The vbrakes on your current bike have a different cable pull from drop bar levers. You can overcome that in part with travel agents but it won't be perfect.

vickster

Legendary Member
And you’ll probably find the bike isn’t the right size with drops (You may find it too big)

OP
OP
Shropshire65LW

Shropshire65LW

I’ll MOC it up first with the bars , I already have some bars ,I can always change that bit
I was inspired with this picture , same bike , well it was

Attachments

• A492F27B-8326-4D96-97CF-16B7A7EB8325.jpeg
    A492F27B-8326-4D96-97CF-16B7A7EB8325.jpeg
    175.4 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
Shropshire65LW

Shropshire65LW

If you are changing to drops you are better off with a new bike. The vbrakes on your current bike have a different cable pull from drop bar levers. You can overcome that in part with travel agents but it won't be perfect.

thanks for your reply and input . Noted ...I’m not after perfect just upgrading A few bits , it’s a experiment and a bit of fun and exercise,I’ll buy used parts and keep the cost down best I can

Top Bottom