Newbie Training Advice Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HB2210

Hi there,
I'm a newbie female cyclist (most miles in one go I have done is 17.6). I'm planning to do a charity event in September - it's about 50 miles. I already struggle on the hills and have a road bike with a compact double chainset :sad: Does anyone know how I can train for this ? I know I need to get out and do more miles, but how often and how far? And how can I improve my stamina for those hills?? :blush:
Any advice would be appreciated :smile:

uclown2002

Guru
You don't say what you are doing at moment but if you steadily increase your frequency and distance each week, then you have plenty of time to reach your goal.

Stamina comes with fitness which comes with riding more!

OP
OP
HB2210

HB2210

You don't say what you are doing at moment but if you steadily increase your frequency and distance each week, then you have plenty of time to reach your goal.

Stamina comes with fitness which comes with riding more!

I try to do 10 miles a night, I work full time and it's dark by the time I get home. I'm hoping with the lighter nights coming in I will stay out longer as I will feel a but safer.

mk6golf

I am in this situation now having just started cycling after years and years. Arrived at work last week one day nearly on deaths door lol! Much to the delight of colleagues.

I think the easiness will come with time

PaddyMcc

Über Member
You will find that things improve remarkably quickly. I only bought my bike in December and have gone from being puffed out at 5 miles to doing 20 in 90 mins including hills.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 26

zizou

Veteran
It will get alot easier once the lighter nights arrive.

Set yourself some intermediate goals before September rather than thinking of the gap between being able to do 10 miles and having to do 50. Having an event months in advance gives you plenty of time to prepare but it can also mean you lose focus because it is so far away. So if you aim to do 20 miles by easter, 30 by May (or whatever) then that will help you to build up the distance in manageable chunks and you will surprise yourself with how quickly your fitness will come on.

OP
OP
HB2210

HB2210

It will get alot easier once the lighter nights arrive.

Set yourself some intermediate goals before September rather than thinking of the gap between being able to do 10 miles and having to do 50. Having an event months in advance gives you plenty of time to prepare but it can also mean you lose focus because it is so far away. So if you aim to do 20 miles by easter, 30 by May (or whatever) then that will help you to build up the distance in manageable chunks and you will surprise yourself with how quickly your fitness will come on.

It's trying to get the time to fit it in when it's dark so quickly .. C'mon the light nights.... I need you :blush:

Top Bottom