Newbie training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigboy

Hello all,
Im new here so please be gentle,
I have always been overweight/underheight, 5' 8" and i turn 40 later this year and i want my health and lifestyle to change for the better. Last year i peaked out at 26st 7lbs and was mortified to realize i was so unfit it was going to kill me. I started a diet and now weigh a less eye popping, but still far from ideal 18st 5 and still losing albeit pretty slowly now. I bought a mountain bike a few years ago but never used it so decided to dust it off and give it a go. The thing is what is a good training routine to start? like how far and how fast and how regular. I realize the type of riding im going to be doing is not suited to the bike but i feel like i might be too heavy for a road bike yet and with the short time at work there is no way to afford one this year.
Any help or advice will be greatfully received.
Thanks, Martin.

scots_lass

Hi Martin and welcome. I am a newbie too - haven't cycled since I was little which is a good few years ago! I started off doing 20 miles a week, split into however many rides. Have then increased it by 5 miles a week. Currently doing 55 miles a week, not a lot but split into a 20, 15, 20 mile ride. The main thing is that I enjoy it and I am not looking to be either superfast or superfit. The trick is to take it slowly and not scunner(sorry - good Scots word for 'put yourself off!') yourself at the start and therefore give up before you get going. And you must enjoy it because it is hard work in the beginning! Good luck!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hello BB

Start with shortish rides and try not to push big gears (will cause problems with the knees / quads). Gradually build up distances and you will probably be surprised how soon you are able to ride say 30 milers. I wouldn't worry about being too heavy for a road bike either, you'd be fine. Consider joining the cc Cyclogs team (link in my sig), I found it really helps motivate regular riding and keeps track on your speed too :ohmy:

I'll give it 2 months before you are hunting online for road bike deals :smile:

SD

OP
OP
B

Bigboy

Cheers guys, as for looking for a road bike ive been looking already this afternoon because my mountain bike is a bit too small for the road and im finding it a bit cramped as well as the noisy tyres. I cant believe how much road bikes are second hand on ebay, they are a small fortune!! saying that im only looking at decent bikes and you get what you pay for i suppose. With the prices like they are it wil have to wait until after the hols and only then if work goes back on full hours. cant see myself in lycra tho ;0)

Why not put slick tyres on your MTB? Initially at least that will get you going a bit faster, less rolling resistance and less noise too, and much cheaper than a new bike.

I'm sure you can sort the fit, raise the stem, bars etc.

OP
OP
B

Bigboy

oldgreyandslow said:
Why not put slick tyres on your MTB? Initially at least that will get you going a bit faster, less rolling resistance and less noise too, and much cheaper than a new bike.

I'm sure you can sort the fit, raise the stem, bars etc.

Hiya, I have got some narrow slicks and they do make a huge difference and ill use these until i get a bit of cash together but the bike is stretched at the moment with the seat up higher than the mark on the post by about 1 1/2" and pushed right back as far as it will go. I could probably get a longer post which bends back a bit like on some 80s BMX bikes :biggrin: i dont know the correct term for them:blush: And the suspension forks have no lockout either.
Ha ha my wife says ill find the negative in everything until i justify spending some money :rolleyes:
One thing i will be buying this week tho is a pair of padded shorts.. I will be wearing them underneath my baggy cargo shorts so i dont mind what colour/style they are. Are they all the same? I see them ranging from 20 to 40 quid but they look the same to me or are the pads different? what do i look for?
Oh and ive arranged to go out with a guy who started riding last year quite seriously he has a MTB as well as his road bike and he says he will do some regular training with me to get my fitness up;) ill let you know how it goes.
Thanks for the replies, Martin.

Top Bottom