Newbie tyre advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Petalpower

Regular
Hi everyone :hello:, I'm a newbie cyclist, injured runner just starting out so please excuse my ignorance if I ask a daft question :blush: I haven't ridden a bike for more years than i care to remember but it's like they say...you never forget! Although it seems a lot more technical then all those years ago! I'm sure you used to pedal backwards to change gear ^_^
I bought a second hand Raleigh RXW cyclocross bike a week ago and so far I'm loving it. I wanted something I could use on the road (my friends have road bikes) but also something I could tackle some tracks or towpaths on with the kids.
So here goes with the hopefully not too silly question...it has Shwalbe Rapid Rob tyres on at the moment which are knobbly (technical term :blush:) and I must admit give me a bit more confidence on the road. But I've read they can wear really quickly on tarmac so is there any reason why I can't change them to more of a road tyre instead? If it's not a daft idea what tyre would you recommend and size too please? It's a bit of a mine field all this!
Any tips or advice would be every so gratefully received and happy cycling :bicycle:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
No reason at all you cant change them to a set of slicks (you'll actually have more grip on tarmac with slicks than knobblies).
You can tell the tyre size by checking the tyre wall on your existing tyre. I'm guessing it will be a 700x32 (or something) the 700 is the "size" of the tyre, the 32 is the width in mm. You can replace it with a 700c tyre with a narrower width.. I'd suggest something like a 700x28 or 700x25.

Tyres come in all sorts of prices/levels of performance. A decent cheap road tyre is the Vittoria Rubino Pro or Michelin Lithion 3's which tbh are both damned good tyres for the cash. If you're feeling flush you can shell out for Michelin Pro, or Continental 5000GP (or my favourites Vittoria corsa G+) Basically the more you pay the lighter/faster the tyre (and in some cases the more puncture prone).

If you drop down to a 25, you'll probably want to replace the inner tubes too with ones for 700x18-28 as the ones in your cross tyres may be slightly too wide.

tom73

Guru
Good advice already.
Just wanted to add that i'm not a very new newbie but still know what it's like when you start out.
Don't worry about slicks they are fine nothing to fear and it may sound odd but you do get better grip.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
Just think of "slicks" more rubber on the road= better grip, knobblies better for lose or muddy surfaces, less rubber on the road, less grip however better at clinging to loose muddy terrain=more grip.
On the road slicks are better and faster, they are also better in the wet than "knobblies"

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Some knobbly tyres can be surprisingly hard-wearing believe me. I've got a pile of old 26" MTB tyres from secondhand/parts donor bikes that I'm gradually working my way through, as I don't ever bin any useable tyres, either Road or MTB. A lot depends on the type of rubber compound they were moulded from. not just how knobbly or smooth they are. Hard rubber tyres are hard-wearing, but don't grip quite so well and may need a more restrained riding style.
In the OP's situation I would just ride on the tyres the bike came with until they completely wear out, or until they start getting punctures that are too frequent to tolerate. Then I'd replace them with a tough touring/commuting tyre, in my case a Schwalbe Marathon in the largest size that will fit the rim/clear the frame and any mudguards.

CXRAndy

Guru
One of the best all-round tyre is the Schwalbe G Ones. They come in 35mm and 40mm. They roll extremely well especially in tubeless setup. They have tiny nipples to give gravel and trail grip. Ive used them for several years. Ive done club runs on 40mm at 19 mph over 70 miles, so no drag on speed:okay:

OP
OP
Petalpower

Petalpower

Regular
No reason at all you cant change them to a set of slicks (you'll actually have more grip on tarmac with slicks than knobblies).
You can tell the tyre size by checking the tyre wall on your existing tyre. I'm guessing it will be a 700x32 (or something) the 700 is the "size" of the tyre, the 32 is the width in mm. You can replace it with a 700c tyre with a narrower width.. I'd suggest something like a 700x28 or 700x25.

Tyres come in all sorts of prices/levels of performance. A decent cheap road tyre is the Vittoria Rubino Pro or Michelin Lithion 3's which tbh are both damned good tyres for the cash. If you're feeling flush you can shell out for Michelin Pro, or Continental 5000GP (or my favourites Vittoria corsa G+) Basically the more you pay the lighter/faster the tyre (and in some cases the more puncture prone).

If you drop down to a 25, you'll probably want to replace the inner tubes too with ones for 700x18-28 as the ones in your cross tyres may be slightly too wide.

Thanks ever so much for the info, that's really helpful. Vittoria Rubino Pro really are cheap! Would be a good starting point to see how I get on with them. Thanks again.

OP
OP
Petalpower

Petalpower

Regular
Good advice already.
Just wanted to add that i'm not a very new newbie but still know what it's like when you start out.
Don't worry about slicks they are fine nothing to fear and it may sound odd but you do get better grip.

Hi Tom74 and thanks. Yes, it does sound weird :laugh:. The look of them petrifies me as logically it would seem less tread, less grip :blink:. So much to learn!

OP
OP
Petalpower

Petalpower

Regular
Just think of "slicks" more rubber on the road= better grip, knobblies better for lose or muddy surfaces, less rubber on the road, less grip however better at clinging to loose muddy terrain=more grip.
On the road slicks are better and faster, they are also better in the wet than "knobblies"

Thanks, bit hard to get my head around but get what you mean! ^_^

OP
OP
Petalpower

Petalpower

Regular
Some knobbly tyres can be surprisingly hard-wearing believe me. I've got a pile of old 26" MTB tyres from secondhand/parts donor bikes that I'm gradually working my way through, as I don't ever bin any useable tyres, either Road or MTB. A lot depends on the type of rubber compound they were moulded from. not just how knobbly or smooth they are. Hard rubber tyres are hard-wearing, but don't grip quite so well and may need a more restrained riding style.
In the OP's situation I would just ride on the tyres the bike came with until they completely wear out, or until they start getting punctures that are too frequent to tolerate. Then I'd replace them with a tough touring/commuting tyre, in my case a Schwalbe Marathon in the largest size that will fit the rim/clear the frame and any mudguards.

Good point, well made ^_^ thanks for the advice.

Top Bottom