Newbie Tyre Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Liftman

Hi,
I have bought my other half a Pashley Picador and it needs new tyres. There were no markings on the old tyres but the rims are marked 20x406. 519*435.
Now I understand that not all 20" tyres are created equal, and that 20-406 tyres are as rare as hens teeth, so I would like to ask what other sized tyres will fit my rims?
Something simple like 20" x 1.1/2 would be good.
I don't need really expensive, clever rubber for this as it will be ridden in Tenerife, on dry, clean roads, not cross country in the UK.
Any recommendations gratefully received.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi and :welcome: @Liftman

The figures that you've quoted tell me that the version of 20 inch rims you've got are 20mm width by 406mm diameter (at the tyre bead seat). Good news is that this is a common size that you should be able to get in most cycle shops. You are correct that not all 20" tyres are created equal. There are at least 6 different sizes called 20 inch, none of which are compatible with each other, so make sure that what you get matches the 406 marked on your rims.

The tyre you will need is wider than 20mm and something around 35 to 50 mm width would be more like it. Pashley's website says 1 and 3/4 inch width are factory fit which would be roughly 45mm but you can be more flexible with width as long as the diameter is correct.

I'd suggest something like Schwalbe Road Cruiser which are decent quality but fairly inexpensive.

For speed I use the 40-406 Marathon Racers or Trykers on the front wheels of my bent trike.
For comfort I use a 50-406 Big Apple on the back, but that size may not fit under your mudguards.
For puncture protection then you cannot beat the Marathon Plus, I don't use them as they are slow and a bugger to fit.

But anything in the 35-406 or 40-406 size will work.

Top Bottom