Newbie, which Boardman?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dannyJAE

After putting on some poundage after Christmas I have decided to get myself a bike. I have done some reading and think I will be going Hybrid, next question is what one?
Would like to go to Halfords as I would be taking out a finance plan so was looking at Carrera or Boardman £500 max. After what I had read on here Boardman seems the better of the 2 so I have narrowed it down to these 2.
MX-Sport
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/boardman-mx-sport-bike-49-54cm-frames
MX-Comp
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...-mx-comp-bike-45-49-54cm-frames#reviewDetails

I want the forks as I will probably be doing more off road than on road cycling although this may change down the line. The boardman seem to have a locking facility which is appealing as well.
I don't know enough about bikes to decide if the extra £80 is worth it for the comp?

Any help would be appreciated.

After putting on some poundage after Christmas I have decided to get myself a bike. I have done some reading and think I will be going Hybrid, next question is what one?
Would like to go to Halfords as I would be taking out a finance plan so was looking at Carrera or Boardman £500 max. After what I had read on here Boardman seems the better of the 2 so I have narrowed it down to these 2.
MX-Sport
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/boardman-mx-sport-bike-49-54cm-frames
MX-Comp
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...-mx-comp-bike-45-49-54cm-frames#reviewDetails

I want the forks as I will probably be doing more off road than on road cycling although this may change down the line. The boardman seem to have a locking facility which is appealing as well.
I don't know enough about bikes to decide if the extra £80 is worth it for the comp?

Any help would be appreciated.
I have the MX Comp. It’s a brilliant all rounder, with some nice equipment on it. Out of those two, that’s the one I’d go for.

C0BDD1A0-4E74-47D9-A16C-14AD0F80DF2B.jpeg

That’s my MX Comp during ‘Storm Emma’

13AFD0CA-3F07-4BE4-A24D-9C725E1C88DA.jpeg

And that’s how I kitted up to avoid getting frozen to death.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I'd say forget about the suspension forks, they just add weight and don't contribute much to comfort unless your routes involve heavily rutted potholed ground. Tyre pressures can be adjusted to aid comfort on trails.

Try a few bikes to find the one you prefer. Cycle Republic are Halfords and I believe have no restrictions on test rides.

Decathlon have some very good value bikes so check them out as well.

Good luck.

OP
OP
D

dannyJAE

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I'd say forget about the suspension forks, they just add weight and don't contribute much to comfort unless your routes involve heavily rutted potholed ground. Tyre pressures can be adjusted to aid comfort on trails.

Try a few bikes to find the one you prefer. Cycle Republic are Halfords and I believe have no restrictions on test rides.

Decathlon have some very good value bikes so check them out as well.

Good luck.

I was talking to an owner of a smaller very reputable bike shop and he said the suspension only really adds an extra lb or so which in minimal and the extra comfort would probably suit me.
I will definitely have a lok at Cycle Republic. Seems to be on in Edinburgh so might have a drive through at the weekend.

Cheers

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hybrids at this price point are pretty similar. If you go into Evans they are going to try to strongarm you into a Pinnacle as its their own in house brand. Reasonable value.

If it were me I'd look at the second hand market. eBay, Gumtree, Preloved etc are awash with bikes bought with good intentions, used a few times and chucked in a garage. This is the type to go for. A lot of bargains to be had.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
Very happy overall with my MX Comp which I've had 2.5 years now.
It is all about opinions and what YOU want from a bike though.
Good luck in your search

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I was talking to an owner of a smaller very reputable bike shop and he said the suspension only really adds an extra lb or so which in minimal and the extra comfort would probably suit me.

Cheers

That may be true, but when pedalling some of the effort you put into the pedals is transmitted into the suspension when the forks travel up and down .

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You can of course always lock them out. I would say that unless your terrain includes hard rutted tracks you're not going to get much advantage from suspension forks.

None of the bikes you have Linked to are bad bikes. At this point the main thing is to get out and ride. So don’t over think things: pick the one that screams “ride me” .:bicycle:

In 6 months or a years time you will have a better idea of the type of bike you want long term, and then you can agonise for ages:laugh:

Top Bottom