Newbie with old Raleigh, Help with age & model please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Very interesting bike, good luck with the restoration. You might have a problem getting the cotter pins out. Make a V shaped cut in a wood block and place it under the crank. With a bit of bashing it might come out, don't worry if you damage it you can still buy replacements. Why not post a few pics of the work?

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
When you do try to get the cotter pins out dont take the nut off. Slacken it so there is some space then try tapping them till they move. Once freed take the nut off to fully remove. This stops you from damaging the thread.

David Higson

The first bike I ever tinkered with was my Dad's "Sun" single speed from pre-war. I know it isn't strictly a "Raleigh" but a lot of the painting principles were the same across all bikes. Wartime regulations required that you paint a white area at the bottom of the rear mudguard. This was for blackout visibility although in absolute darkness I'm not sure that white would be any more visible than the black. Most bikes were black back then and folks touched up chips and scratches with whatever black paint was to hand. Your previous owner may have attempted to remedy rusted brightwork by painting the same colour as the rest of the bike. as for the actual paintwork, there's an interesting short film on youtube that shows Raleigh bikes being "painted". The film was made in 1945, which puts it in the general era of your machine.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaxRQh03BOw
is the link. Enjoy!

Thanks for all that, brilliant stuff. I'm sorry I've not been on and replied earlier but was away for a week.

I've actually a little bit of a dilema now in that my sons friend is coveting the bike, he's normally keen on the "newer" stuff like old Raleigh Choppers and BMX's but he's been eyeing up my Raleigh.

Given I've just fetched two old and rough Jawa / CZ motorbikes home for resto I'm torn between letting him have it or just making the extra time for all the projects.

We will see, if I let him have it it will be for just what I paid (not a lot) and I'll direct him to this site so progress of the project can be seen, if I can't let it go then I will be back to show the work in progress myself. So either way there should be more to see of the bikes progress.

Thanks again chaps.

tyred

Legendary Member
Is there any evidence of chrome plating under the paint on the bars, chainwheel or rims? Wartime bikes didn't have chrome.

Personally, I wouldn't do too much restoration to this. A good clean, mechanical overhaul and a rub down with oil mixed with diesel to stop further corrosion. To paint it would lose the patina of age.

U

User42423

Hi folks, first post as I happened by a rough old Raleigh today which I decided to adopt.

I'm trying to firm up a model and manufacturing date before deciding to either just give it tyres and tubes along with basic fettling and a wipe with an oily rag, or to take it further, but just a couple of things are throwing me.

All thoughts appreciated, I'm more used to playing with things with engines and actually trying to ride it will either finish me off or be the start of new found health :laugh:

Careful cleaning revealed the remnants of a Raleigh decal on the headstock, and I found a number on the frame just below the seat. 27965P which from looking on the web dates it to around 1947? More searching has me thinking it is a "Dawn model 11"

Thoughts and clarification would be good if anyone knows for sure, there is also another number on the frame underside below the peddles that is 40832 with a Z above it.

What is puzzling me is the lack of bright work, what little there is has been painted black at one point though some of that has flaked away, handlebars and wheel rims show no signs of ever having had chrome but I suppose age could have done away with it, even the three speed Sturmey Archer AM hub was black before I cleaned the paint away to try to get a date, there isn't one, just "patent applied for" where the date would normally be. I'm also under the impression the quadrant gear selector should have been a trigger on the handlebar type under the "optional extra" geared hub.

So, do we think I'm right with model and age, or is there something more to all the black paint such as wartime issue, I wouldn't think so but wouldn't want to go removing the black if it should be there...

Photos below for you to laugh at and see how mad I must be, but I felt sorry for it and love old "machinery"

DSC08467_zps80596f3f.jpg

DSC08469_zpsfbcc0e60.jpg

DSC08472_zps4348f9d0.jpg

DSC08474_zpsfd038467.jpg

DSC08476_zps4ff9b3d5.jpg

DSC08478_zps4cbe2758.jpg

DSC08479_zps486ccf06.jpg

DSC08477_zpsf5018a74.jpg

Hi. Have just looked at my Raleigh frame number catalogue, and 27965P indicates 1947-49. However, as you point out, post war number were 6 digits, not 5. Unless it is P27965, which dates to 1936. This would explain the all black finish. I will look at my Raleigh catalogues.

U

User42423

It looks older than 1947 judging by the gear shift lever. It may have been painted black during war-time. The rear SA hub should have a date on it which will be stamped on centre of hub in month/year format eg 02/47 which would be feb 1947.
Thanks, thats what I was thinking with the gear shift, I cleaned the hub up of the black paint a little, the markings look normal but where you would expect a date it just says "patent applied for"

I'm looking in the center on the main body of the hub across the width of the wheel, is there anywhere else I can look?

By coincidence, I see your in Chorley, if thats Chorley in Lancs I hail from there about seven years ago before moving to the wilds of Scotland, which reminds me I shall have to sort my profile tomorrow :smile:

Hi "Mickhingham". You state that the 3-speed Sturmey only has 'patent' stamped on it. This means it is circa 1936/7. it succeeded the old K-type (1931-36).

wisdom

Guru
The video is excellent. Just shows what great manufacturing machines and craftsmen we had. Made great bikes too.Alas we have given it all away to foreign imports

Top Bottom