Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all
This is my first post I've just taken up cycling again it's only been 18 yrs since I last got on a bike ,I've just bought the boardman comp road bike and completed my first ride , just short of 15 miles ,the first 5 miles were hell mainly uphill though . I'm 18st and completed this in the. Just over a hour . The question is is this the sort of pace I should be looking for ,or is this ok for a beginer????

OP
OP
Matthew Cooper

Matthew Cooper

Regular
Also is there any newbies in the Melton area who would mind someone else tagging along with them on some rides ,or if there are any clubs in the Melton Mowbray area that wouldn't frown on a chubby bloke in Lycra joining them??????.

Shaun

Founder
Absolutely fine - just take it steady and as you get used to it you'll find your speed and distance naturally go up. :thumbsup:

I can only dream of such speeds. I also have just started riding again, though its not been so long since I rode.
I got a Viking Tourino back in 2008 (to do a ride to London, though in hindsight not the best bike for it, but all that could be afforded at the time, and its done well), back to the present.
My avg speed today for a 60Km ride was 20.28Km/h (12.6mph) time taken 2:56:29 (with a few breaks), height climbed (according to GPSies was 1191ft (worked out to be a climb of 32ft per mile, and of course down again) altitude range was only 167ft so no major hills.
My first ride on the 25/6 I averaged 9.8mph over 18.2 miles. Last Sunday 15/7 I averaged 12.4mph over 22.85 miles had two rides back in the 11mph region, but the last four have been 12+ with one at 13mph all rides are over 20 miles+, my total mileage this week is 170 miles with an avg of 24 miles, with an overall avg sp of 12.2 mph.
So I think for a first ride its a wonderful acheivment.
Of course my cycle comp might not be set right though its only out marginally if it is, as the mileage is usually about right.
Sorry if off topic, my first post.

:welcome: Matt and Nigel, you are both faster than me :ohmy:
Thanks Pat, mind I do 5mph on some of the hills, I don't care really, so long as I keep going and can climb it. I did 300ft in just over a mile on Tuesday, well almost, funny thing is I climbed this hill from the other road (they meet at a roundabout at the top) 4 years ago on the way to London, didn't make it then either. Though this time, I did ride all the way.

great bike, if halfords bring the price down again im going to buy another to replace the one that got stolen,
Hi Stephen, are you referring to the Viking, if so, I find it ok, but having not ridden any other modern road bikes I have nothing to compare it with, I have read some bad comments on it.

Prior to the 2008 ride ( I must point out that I got the bike the day I set off to London, so it was a steep learning curve), the last road bike i had prior to it was back in the mid 90's, so things had changed a lot. Since then I haven't done much, last year a weekly ride back from Wakefield, till the front dérailleur broke, I got a new one this year (May I think) then decided to get a larger toothed rear cassette ( I have since read about splitting the cassette and making up your own ratios) this then meant I had to get a new rear dérailleur, because the sora wont do 32/34 teeth, I have also changed the front chain rings from 52/42/30 to 48/38/26, and whilst the outer rings fit (130mm bcd) the inner ring has an unusual size, I measured it in situ, and assumed from the size that it was 74mm bcd (turns out to be something like 78mm), so i ordered a new chainset, this will come with 48/38/28, so this will give me some ratios to play with.
So in effect its a little like a tourer without the comfort.

OP
OP
Matthew Cooper

Matthew Cooper

Regular
It's an amazing bike very quick ,and such a bargain I picked up the large for £585 when I went to pick it up the chap in the said I had bought at the right time as they had gone back up to £799 lucky me ,also purchased so clipless peddles and shoes what a difference they make.

It's an amazing bike very quick ,and such a bargain I picked up the large for £585 when I went to pick it up the chap in the said I had bought at the right time as they had gone back up to £799 lucky me ,also purchased so clipless peddles and shoes what a difference they make.
Great saving.
I haven't worked in 5 years, so a new bike at the price is only a dream. I might invest in some clipless pedals, but I still need to sort things like tyres and brake blocks soon, also need to get another cassette with a 28/29 tooth sprocket as there is quite a gap between 26/34.
I have considered making it an 8 sp rear but the £90-100 for the shifter is a lot of money just for one gear, considering I have just spent £165 so far, (this includes some shoes) getting the bike into something I can ride, up whatever hills I come across, I also carry quite a bit of weight in panniers, probably about 1/4 of the weight of the bike again.

Top Bottom