Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Coxy1892

Regular
Hi
I bought a bike 3 weeks ago for the basis of helping lose weight.
I was 19stone 8 and through a combination of eating correctly and cycling at the moment I'm 16,11.
I started off 1st time on my bike which apart from my motorbike I haven't ridden a push bike in over 20 years since I was child.
I started off doing 5 miles then a rest day 5 miles next day then I upped to 7 miles at the moment I'm up to doing 14 miles every other day.
Is this the correct thing to do? Should I keep upping my travel distance?
Also I am actually really enjoying it being out on the bike even more so than being out on the bike with the engine. But that 1st mile is awful I totally dread it, it almost like my legs haven't woke up if that make sense after I stop for a couple of minutes I feel like I can go on for miles it just this 1st mile I struggle with is this normal?

Thanks

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome:

Yep the first bit is always a bit tough, just take your time and don't go 'flat-out' until you've warmed up.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Welcome and well done for the weight loss. You are doing the right thing. Little and offten with rest days and gradually increasing the miles is the best way to go, and it sems to be working for you.

And it can take people a while to get into their stride.

Spoons47

Hi
I bought a bike 3 weeks ago for the basis of helping lose weight.
I was 19stone 8 and through a combination of eating correctly and cycling at the moment I'm 16,11.
I started off 1st time on my bike which apart from my motorbike I haven't ridden a push bike in over 20 years since I was child.
I started off doing 5 miles then a rest day 5 miles next day then I upped to 7 miles at the moment I'm up to doing 14 miles every other day.
Is this the correct thing to do? Should I keep upping my travel distance?
Also I am actually really enjoying it being out on the bike even more so than being out on the bike with the engine. But that 1st mile is awful I totally dread it, it almost like my legs haven't woke up if that make sense after I stop for a couple of minutes I feel like I can go on for miles it just this 1st mile I struggle with is this normal?

Thanks

Similar to you I have lost a lot of weight on a low carb diet. I’m in my third week of a training schedule which I have invented myself based on a lot of surfing and reading. This week is two rides of 12 miles and the third ride somewhere between 25 and 30. Always a rest day in between apart from maybe a trip to Tesco. I do 5 minutes of warm up indoors, leg curls, spinng arms etc just to get the blood flowing then 5 minutes warm up on the bike. The first two rides I concentrate on 90-100 cadence. I’m just at the saddle sore stage at the moment, chamois cream being delivered tomorrow, so hopefully bum muscles will soon harden up and skin will stretch.
You will get lots of help and encouragement on this forum, lots of nice knowledgeable people.
Onwards and Upwards
Cheers
Simon.

Ice2911

Über Member
Welcome and glad you are enjoying cycling. Good advice above. When getting going it can take a few minutes for your legs to go “oh we are doing that again” It will get easier. Just remember the famous Jens Voigt quote , if you don’t know it I’ll let you find it out :smile:

Be very careful with things like low carb diets, whilst riding. One of the most important food groups, when your cycling regularly are carbs. If you’re deliberately not eating many carbs, and then cycling, you could be in for a serious lesson in why that’s a bad idea.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Be very careful with things like low carb diets, whilst riding. One of the most important food groups, when your cycling regularly are carbs. If you’re deliberately not eating many carbs, and then cycling, you could be in for a serious lesson in why that’s a bad idea.
+1
new members are turning up to my CC Saturday social ride no eaten anything for brekkie and nothing to drink and are bonking even at a very sedate pace , begging for food and drink off others.

Reactions: C R

tom73

Guru
1st well done and welcome

As one newbie to another i'm 4 months in and can say that the much talked advice that over time it get easier is very much true. Take your time and build up slowly and rest in between. If you feel like having a extra day off then take it and don't feel bad about it. You are going to have bad bike day's we all have them but the good day's more then make up for them. Just take them on the chain , learn from them if you need to and move on.

Distance will come 40 mile's is not a issue for me now. Ok it sound's like i'm a bit lighter and fitter than you. But you too will find the mile's add up.
Just focus on getting out in the saddle and enjoy it. Build up a few route's that you can mix up a bit when you feel like a change and let you practice different skill's. Then add to them as you need.

Get use to them and know how much time you need to ride them so not to worry about having enough time to do them. One thing if you have not done it already don't duck the hill's in fact seek a few out and ride them. I did from the start i'm glad I did and my time on the bike is better for it too.

si_c

Guru
Welcome and congrats on the weight loss. I think you're doing it perfectly, just get out and ride^_^

lane

Veteran
If your enjoying it then that's great because you will keep on doing it. Biggest mistake people make is too much to soon or not enough rest days. Good Luck!

Try not to lose wieght too quickly, better to have a slow reduction just a pound or two a week, this allows the skin to shrink along with te reduction in wieght, if you pull the wieght off to quickly you could end up with a lot of baggy skin, which can become a source of soreness.

Top Bottom