Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Suddabym

hi im new to road biking I’m looking at a triban 3 second hand for £120 is this a good deal as I’m not sure as I’ve never bought a road bike before below are some pics from the selling page thanks in advance

Attachments

• 0C8F58A1-45FD-4F96-87AD-5E72DEE4F175.png
    0C8F58A1-45FD-4F96-87AD-5E72DEE4F175.png
    67.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 8ADE4FB8-A560-4D46-B67D-56BB3740A727.png
    8ADE4FB8-A560-4D46-B67D-56BB3740A727.png
    72.7 KB · Views: 30

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It depends on the state of it and whether it's the right size for you. I've paid more and I've paid less. Are you OK checking a bike over? https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/cycling-guide/buy-secondhand-bike seems like a reasonable guide.

Mentally, I budget for replacing the tyres, brake pads, chain, rear cassette and wheel and headset bearings at the very least - you might not need to do the lot, but it's not always immediately obvious whether you do. This can make a big difference to the perceived price of some bikes with more exotic parts on.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Tribans are well regarded model on here. It's a stonking deal if it's been well maintained and doesn't need many replacement parts.
Try to ascertain how well used it is and if the seller has receipts for what he's spent on it. That's if you don't know how to appraise the condition.
If it's been well used budget to replace parts as above. Seems like an older model to me, could be up to six years old.
Looks like a medium size but can't be sure. Is it the right size for you? Do the Victor Sylvester check with the top tube (plenty of ballroom?). How tall are you?

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Suddabym

Suddabym

Thank you so much for replies to be honest I haven’t got a clue what I’m doing the lady said it’s a 57 frame if that means anything and I’m 5’7

OP
OP
Suddabym

Suddabym

So with it maybe being 6 years old should I wait and see what else comes up to buy or is this still a good price 2nd hand ?

OP
OP
Suddabym

Suddabym

Tribans are well regarded model on here. It's a stonking deal if it's been well maintained and doesn't need many replacement parts.
Try to ascertain how well used it is and if the seller has receipts for what he's spent on it. That's if you don't know how to appraise the condition.
If it's been well used budget to replace parts as above. Seems like an older model to me, could be up to six years old.
Looks like a medium size but can't be sure. Is it the right size for you? Do the Victor Sylvester check with the top tube (plenty of ballroom?). How tall are you?

Good luck.
Not hit a clue to be honest what I’m looking for when appraising a bike usually if the wheels go round I’m good to go lol if it’s 6 years old maybe then is it still a good buy ?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It's still a good buy if you bear in mind what we've said above.
The wheels might go around but are they true? Are the spokes tight? Are the tyres worn,?
Check the head bearings by holding the front brake on and push the bars back and forth, any movement might mean replacement. Hold the cranks and move them side to side, again there should be minimal play.
The good thing is decathlon will stock the spares.
The pedals look like they may be for cleated cycle shoes, if you don't want to buy shoes you will have to change them.
Let us know your height or inseam to find out if the frame size of the bike fits you. Ask the seller for the size.

OP
OP
Suddabym

Suddabym

The wheels might go around but are they true? Are the spokes tight? Are the tyres worn,?
Check the head bearings by holding the front brake on and push the bars back and forth, any movement might mean replacement. Hold the cranks and move them side to side, again there should be minimal play.
The pedals look like they may be for cleated cycle shoes, if you don't want to buy shoes you will have to change them.
Let us know your height or inseam to find out if the frame size of the bike fits you. Ask the seller for the size.
To be honest they don’t ha e a clue either I asked what size it was and she said it’s either s7 or 57 she couldn’t work out of it was an S or a 5 lol thanks again will try all those things out when I view it tonight :-)

OP
OP
Suddabym

Suddabym

To be honest they don’t ha e a clue either I asked what size it was and she said it’s either s7 or 57 she couldn’t work out of it was an S or a 5 lol thanks again will try all those things out when I view it tonight :-)
And I’m 5foot 7

OP
OP
Suddabym

Suddabym

Hmmm not sure what to do now :-( supposed to be viewing at 5pm
I can always go have a look and try it out and see for myself thanks again really appreciate the help

vickster

Legendary Member
As above, too big, a 52-54 cm top tube would be more appropriate for you. Go sit on it, but it's generally ill advised buying a too big bike as there's not much scope to make smaller without affecting the handling. Ask the seller how tall S/he is

vickster

Legendary Member
Thank you appreciate it
I quickly edited my post as I saw yours. You can only try it but I would never buy a bike too big. Is your height on your torso with short leg shoes or vice versa. If you have a very long back and arms it might be less of an issue, but I still wouldn't go there (I'm 5'10, height in legs and all my bikes have a 54cm top tube)

If the seller is much taller than you, don't feel bad about not seeing it, you'd be wasting everyone's time

Top Bottom