Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Online they call it a noob i believe....

Anyway, I'm new to the site and very new to bike restoration projects.

I bought a knackered vintage centurion bike a while back and have been meaning to restore it to some sort of unlikely former glory.

I've recently taken the bottom bracket off. The bearings look like they could do with being binned as. Is there any other way you can tell exactly that the bearings have gone though? For instance, is there a something you can spot on the bearing or a sound etc?

Many thanks!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Online they call it a noob i believe....

Anyway, I'm new to the site and very new to bike restoration projects.

I bought a knackered vintage centurion bike a while back and have been meaning to restore it to some sort of unlikely former glory.

I've recently taken the bottom bracket off. The bearings look like they could do with being binned as. Is there any other way you can tell exactly that the bearings have gone though? For instance, is there a something you can spot on the bearing or a sound etc?

Many thanks!
:welcome: you can still get new bearings for a couple of quid, as long as the shaft and cups are OK and not rough on the bearing track.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Usual way to detect wear is wiggle the cranks from side to side, any more than very slight movement indicates they're on their way out.
If it's a square taper you might want to replace with a sealed unit which most people use now, about £15. If it's a cottered unit you might have to use seperate bearings.

OP
OP
CourtneyJamesHiggins
Thanks for your responses.

Yeah, it's a square tapered bracket. On the lookout for a new one but was wondering if the bearings might be somewhat saveable.

Apparently not! #Scrap

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Newb = new to it
n00b =someone who should know better ;)
As said it would be a lot easier to replace it with a sealed unit to save the messing about with ball bearings and grease.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Newb = new to it
n00b =someone who should know better ;)
As said it would be a lot easier to replace it with a sealed unit to save the messing about with ball bearings and grease.
As a fan of replaceable bearings I'd disagree with you and @Cycleops or maybe I just don't like fitting something disposable when the adjustable variant is still viable.

I could just be tight though. :becool:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
As a fan of replaceable bearings I'd disagree with you and @Cycleops or maybe I just don't like fitting something disposable when the adjustable variant is still viable.

I could just be tight though. :becool:
i always thought you walked funny :smile:
Yes replaceable rather than disposable is a nice goal it depends on everyone's mechanical aptitude , time etc what works for them .

Top Bottom