Newbies "touring" on the cheap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
K

Kumquat

I'd bet quite a lot that the OP already has drybags from their DoE trips (though I suppose they maybe used plastic bags - the assumption when walking/backpacking is that your rucksack is not waterproof and you use waterproof inners of some kind to keep your kit dry).
You could try putting stuff into drybags and bungeeing it on (depends a little on just how robust they are, some of my drybags feel more robust than others!)

Yup, I use a mix of proper dry bags and sturdy plastic bags, so not too fussed about the waterproof-ness of panniers, especially considering that seeing as we have a large window of time (students) we're unlikely to set out when we know that the weather will be grim.

I learnt the hard way to waterproof my stuff when I couldn't be bothered one day (not a cloud in the sky, and was in a hurry to leave). I was half right..it didn't rain, but I fell into a river!

OP
OP
K

Kumquat

Another question, will panniers fit on all types of bike? Is there a mounting thingy needed on the bike?
I'll have a look at mine, but it's in the garage at the mo

KneesUp

Guru
You normally need a mounting point by the axle (a little threaded 'blimp on the dropout) and threaded mounts on the seat stays - the tubes that go from by the axle toward the saddle. However, there are ways around it if you don't have both or either - I have a rack on my back despite it lacking the upper mounts., for example. If you could post a picture of the bike I'm sure someone can advise.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Good spot!
I'll get down to lidl next week to have a look to guesstimate whether the size is big enough.

I find the issue with trying to buy cheap stuff on the internet is that you can end up with semi-decent stuff- or total crap! so I much prefer a physical shop.

Beware!

My friend bought a set to do a mini tour with me. They lasted four hours before the clips broke on one of them.

OP
OP
K

Kumquat

Beware!

My friend bought a set to do a mini tour with me. They lasted four hours before the clips broke on one of them.

Eek! The very same ones?

I'd like something that will last at least one trip ideally! Don't mind upgrading if I get into it but unwilling to splash the cash now, so I might have to ask friends and family if they have any lying around.

KneesUp

Guru
I believe this years' Lidl panniers have much better clips. I can't verify this as my Lidl had none left when I went to investigate.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Basic panniers I have from Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op are proving durable.

Not waterproof, but they are doing the job in all other respects.

StuartG

slower but further
My best bit of advice is 'pump up your tyres'. The max psi should be on the sidewall. Get a track pump and pump to an inch of it. It will minimise your rolling resistance. Very noticeable as the miles clock up. Also reduces punctures (allegedly).

As for panniers - they can't be too small. If they don't make you reconsider what you really, really need, then you will be travelling too heavy. Water bottles should be the only luxury. Also an extra pair of mits. They will be heaven if the first get wet. Its the hands the fare worst in the wet/cold.

Good luck, have fun. Even disasters usually have their funny side. Cable ties are also good when straps/fittings fail.

KneesUp

Guru
My best bit of advice is 'pump up your tyres'. The max psi should be on the sidewall. Get a track pump and pump to an inch of it. It will minimise your rolling resistance.

This is only true if you are riding in lab conditions. That said, the pressure you run the tyre out should ideally be a function of how much weight you have on it. JUst pump it up so it bulges a little bit when it's loaded with you and luggage.

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2010/10/18/science-and-bicycles-1-tires-and-pressure/

StuartG

slower but further
This is only true if you are riding in lab conditions. That said, the pressure you run the tyre out should ideally be a function of how much weight you have on it. JUst pump it up so it bulges a little bit when it's loaded with you and luggage. https://janheine.wordpress.com/2010/10/18/science-and-bicycles-1-tires-and-pressure/
Thank you, that was an interesting read. I note they were testing against speed on, from photos, light bikes and riders. I can follow the physics under these conditions which most certainly don't apply to my riding or, I guess, those above.

Slow with loads means the suspension vibrations are less and dampened by the load. That is a tyre at 100 psi on a heavily loaded tourer will flex (absorb vibration) far more than the same tyre and pressure on a racing bike. We are also unlikely to be dealing with racing 150 psi tyres on load carriers. There is also the consideration that over a period of a tour pressure will be lost unless you get access to replenish with a track pump. Hence the pragmatic as opposed to optimal decision is to start with as higher pressure as you can manage. You will unlikely to get it back to sufficient pressure with a budget hand pump. Just enough to get home.

A good reason to not pump to the limit is discomfort. But the saddle may be the first consideration there. Never go on tour with one that is not an old proven friend.

I think you need to get a better on the road pump stuart. Check out the Topeak morph range. No need to pump up tyres in anticipation of pressure loss. Any more than there is to eat a week's meals in advance before hitting the road. :smile:

Even thought I consider myself an experience tourer, before I go on a tour be it 100 or a 1000Km's once I have all the kit together, including food, I load it all up and go for a 15 mile ride to one of my Fav. cafe, have a nice cup of tea or two, then ride home, it allows me to shake the equipment out, sometime I even find a quite spot and set up camp, again to check if I have everything. Sometimes you find that maybe something need to be adjusted, also for your first time it help with your confidence. As to kit, I also go back packing, I use the same gear, other than Panniers in loo of rucsac, and bike tools and spares I try to keep the wieght down to 15Kg's but I would suggest at least keep it below 20Kg,s.
I suggest you take some spare cables, check to see what nuts and bolts your bike uses then carry a few spares, and a few inner tubes, its easier to do a tube change then mess around repairing the punctured tube, more so if it weeing down with rain then in the evening you can take your time repairing the punctures.

Top Bottom