Newcastle upon Tyne local commuting knowledge, please…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
I have to be in Newcastle later this month for a few days for a conference.
I need to commute on the Brompton from City centre to the Marriott hotel at Gosforth Park, and back, possibly twice in a day.
I can see a long straight B1318 road, partly dual carriageway, to get there.
Is it a safe route, please, both in and out of rush hour?

That's the great north road, fairly busy from memory
http://www.tyneandweartravel.info/public/cctv/list.htm
has a few cctv cameras on it to get some idea. Some parts have bus / cycle lanes, so you'd probably be ok, but probably not the most enjoyable ride at rush hour

albion

Guru
I have to be in Newcastle later this month for a few days for a conference.
I need to commute on the Brompton from City centre to the Marriott hotel at Gosforth Park, and back, possibly twice in a day.
I can see a long straight B1318 road, partly dual carriageway, to get there.
Is it a safe route, please, both in and out of rush hour?

Its got a cycle path both sides. I usually take the right hand side which is accessed via the church then up past a Uni entrance and Uni pedestrian bridge.
Theresa sign posted cycle detour through Gosforth back to that road which you may choose to join anyway at Gosforth.

Few people road cycle before they get to Gosforth.
The other thing to note is that its far easier/safer to stay left and do that left one way fairly peaceful flyover just before your hotel/racecourse.

Last edited:

puffinbilly

Veteran
Hi - just to give you some more details - use the cycle path along the Great North Run - it starts in the Haymarket and runs past the Robinson Library to Clayton Road then runs alongside the Great North Run to Gosforth.
I would then take the cycle path up Elmfield Road (runs against the traffic on this one way piece of road) and then turn right onto Linden Road and then onto Jubilee Road (past Virgin Money and the fire station) and then Wansbeck Road South and Broadway West before rejoining the Great North Run.

This little detour takes you off the Gosforth High Street which can be particularly busy with buses lorries etc and onto quiet roads before taking you back onto the Great North Run where it's a little more sedate.

On rejoining the Great North Run - as @albion says take the road that flies over the Great North Road signposted for Wideopen and this then delivers you to a mini roundabout and your hotel is on the right turn.

AndyRM

XOXO
Routes outlined above are good, as well as quiet. I'd reiterate swerving Gossie high street - it's no fun at all on a bike, even if you're used to it.

Would you like any fooding/boozing recommendations?

AndyRM

XOXO
Also thinking about it, depending on where you are in the city you could possibly do a fair bit of riding through parks, Leazes, Jesmond then the Town Moor before hopping over the Great North Road to the backstreets and parks of Gossie.

Slightly convoluted route I guess, but not a bad one.

Depending on when you're here I'd be happy to show you the way. I ride from Wallsend to Regent Centre most days and your route isn't that much out of my way.

OP
OP
CharlieB

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Thank you all! That's what I love about CC. You always get constructive support.
Although I'm up between Thursday 26th and Monday 30th, I'm not sure of my precise journey times as yet.
Cheers!

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
As you're bringing a Brompton you can also use the Metro if you need to. The nearest Metro station to Gosforth Park is at the Regent Centre and you can easily get trains into the city-centre, Central Station, etc. from there. Another option if you don't want to ride all the way...

albion

Guru
Well, I cycled up through Gosforth on Monday and was surprised, south of Gosforth to see a cycle lane to my left protected by what I think are referred to as Armadillos.

Seeing them, just the once it is hard to have a sensible opinion beyond my initial WTF. I would have needed to go slower to safely cut between the protectors, but as that bike lane had a fair bit of ugly winter debris I stayed on the road. They have been there a while, it is just that my cycling has been inactive recent.
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/newcastle-cycle-lane-measures-could-10048733

It seems they have been there a while, myself thinking they are maybe positive for the rush hour.
However, a 20 year old cyclist was killed on that road near the Blue House roundabout this week.

Sad news, even if it ends up showing that the North East Motorcycle Action Group foresaw this.

Top Bottom