Newcastle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brokenbetty

Über Member
graham56 said:
Then you want Gatesheed, very cosmopolitan.:evil: After all they do have a Hilton Hotel on that side of the river.

My sister in Tescos in Gateshead

Sis: Have you got any sushi?
Assistant: Sorry pet no. There's some wet fish on the counter though

:thumbsup:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Not the nest Travelodge I've ever stayed in.

Yeah, it's for the birds! ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
We had a family weekend away in Northumbria years ago, and stayed at a Travelodge in the area. I remember my Mum saying it was like being in a different country, listening to the cleaners talking to each other in the morning, their accents were so strong...

It's a terrible admission, but I've only ever passed through Newcastle. Must actually go there one day.

graham56

Guru
Arch said:
We had a family weekend away in Northumbria years ago, and stayed at a Travelodge in the area. I remember my Mum saying it was like being in a different country, listening to the cleaners talking to each other in the morning, their accents were so strong...

It's a terrible admission, but I've only ever passed through Newcastle. Must actually go there one day.

Arch it's Northumberland, Northumbria was an Anglo-Saxon kingdom. You're not really that old are you?:laugh:;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
graham56 said:
Arch it's Northumberland, Northumbria was an Anglo-Saxon kingdom. You're not really that old are you?;);)

Oh, I'm dead old, me....

Yeah, I tend to use the two interchangeably. I like the sound of Northumbria....

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
The Newcastle Travelodge is like that. But that's because most of the staff were Polish

Is that the one on a roundabout just off the A1, not far from Newcastle Racecourse? I cannot think of a more godforsaken place to put a hotel :smile: Even if they build a new but old-looking pub next to the McDonalds that also resides there... only thing interesting about it is the name of the nearest inhabited place... Wideopen :smile:

gavintc

Guru
My son is at uni in Newcastle and we have visited quite regularly over the last 3 yrs. It is a nicer town than I expected and I have really enjoyed our weekends there. Sadly, it is coming to an end and we will visit for his graduation in Jul, probably one of my last reasons to visit the city. I recommend it. But, the hotels are quite expensive for what you get.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Ah yes, can be a bit windswept and concrete round there...
If it's sunny, sit in (or out if warm enough) the Pitcher & Piano by the bridge... rip off prices, but for one beer it's nice to watch the world go by...
Or, i can recommend the Crown Posada pub, which is just a few minutes' walk from your hotel.
:biggrin:

Worth also taking a stroll over to the Sage and to the Baltic (whatever you think of the 'art' inside, it's a great building, with some fab views from the lift/top floor)

[edit]... of course you may not be there any more, but one for Crock if he notices this]

Wolf04

Fnaar said:
Ah yes, can be a bit windswept and concrete round there...
If it's sunny, sit in (or out if warm enough) the Pitcher & Piano by the bridge... rip off prices, but for one beer it's nice to watch the world go by...
Or, i can recommend the Crown Posada pub, which is just a few minutes' walk from your hotel.
:smile:

Worth also taking a stroll over to the Sage and to the Baltic (whatever you think of the 'art' inside, it's a great building, with some fab views from the lift/top floor)

[edit]... of course you may not be there any more, but one for Crock if he notices this]

Fnarr, could you please stop giving away secrets as precious as the Crown Posada!!! We don't want just anybody in there. They'll be serving lager next. They do actually sell lager but they sneer at those who order it. :smile:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Wolf04 said:
Fnarr, could you please stop giving away secrets as precious as the Crown Posada!!! We don't want just anybody in there. They'll be serving lager next. They do actually sell lager but they sneer at those who order it. :smile:

:smile: :smile: (I drink lager, too!) :smile: (but mostly Guinness) :smile:

Top Bottom