News and Current Affairs

Shaun

Founder
Hello everyone,

I've considered all the feedback, talked to the moderator team, and had a think about how I would like discussion of current affairs to work on CycleChat going forwards.

It's going to be open to all members and guests so that everyone can read it; not hidden, no opt-in, just a regular part of CC - but you'll be able to opt-out of seeing it in your New Posts if you'd prefer, just like you can for all the other forums.

It's going to be moderated in a way that aims to focus attention on the subject instead of each other, and we are going to ignore any misuse of reporting such as expecting us to referee personal or political differences; sort those through civil and reasoned discourse in the current affairs threads.

If we feel a post is disagreeable or personal we will edit or delete it and you'll be excluded from the thread for 24 hours as a means of directing your attention back onto the subject. You will still be able to read the thread and post in any of the other threads, which makes it a low-level response that can easily be avoided by focusing on what is said, rather than who is saying it, and by being civil no matter how much you might disagree with someone's opinion.

We'll be starting afresh with a News and Current Affairs forum to discuss what's hitting the headlines and once it is established I will bring over the P&CA threads for historical reference (but they will remain locked to keep the attention on new discussions).

I'll open the new forum shortly.

Hopefully focusing on the subject, rather than each other, will lead to discussions that are broad, interesting, and need little or no moderation - but that will very much depend on all of you approaching it from a viewpoint of mutual respect, regardless of any personal or political differences, and self-moderating.

Cheers,
Shaun

Top Bottom