News stories that make you smile

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
It's so annoying seeing the regular fare of doom and gloom in newspapers and online news which are inevitably transplanted onto message boards such as these for people to wail and gnash their teeth. Depressing too. So I was pleasantly surprised to read the following story and thought I'd share it -

Aaran Stewart does not react well to change.

The 21-year-old has severe autism and obsessive compulsive disorder, but has to negotiate the hectic bustle of Heathrow airport to attend Boston Higashi High School.

To cater for him, staff have attempted to recreate the same conditions every time he flies.

Four times a year for five years, Aaran has met the same airport staff, at the same check in desk, visiting the same shops, leaving from the same gate onto a plane on which the exact same seats are reserved

The full article at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-23989422 shows the lengths Heathrow staff go to to help this young man.

What a nice story. Anybody spot any others?

sazzaa

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
There've been a couple recently in The Guardian.

One was in a weekly feature on 'This happened to me' - I got eaten by a shark, or whatever, and was about a guy who lost his father on the London Underground. His dad, an elderly Romanian who'd never previously been out of Romania, somehow got separated from him on a busy tube station, and basically went AWOL for about four or five days. He couldn't speak a word of English, no-one speaks Romanian, he was just....gone. Eventually he turned up, after spotting his own photo on the front page of a newspaper and pointing it out to the waiter of an Indian restaurant which had given him sanctuary and fed him for a couple of days. Reunited with his son, he said how much he'd enjoyed his time in London, and how everyone he met had been very kind to him.

The other was about a guy whose father had recently died. While organising the funeral, he discovered that in his later years, his father had become very infirm (tho' too proud to admit it), with the result that he could no longer make it to the mosque on his own. His neighbour, a died in the wool cockney skinhead, with the tattoos and the pit bull, had got into the habit of going out to the roadside and flagging down cars heading for the mosque, to get the old feller a lift. When the son thanked him for his kindness, he just shrugged his shoulders dismissively, and said, simply, 'Nah - he was a good man.'

gbb

Legendary Member
Mine is when they create a headline where thay have totalled the cost to the motoring public of some imminent rise....
'Cost of motoring to rise £32 million'.
I always think to myself..
'Well, I can't afford THAT'

Cheddar George

oober member
Mentioned in the cafe last week but is still making me smile.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26784669

Top Bottom