NewsFLO Article - London Cycling Deaths

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G-Zero

Über Member
I originally posted this in "Campaigning" but with hindsight, it's probably more relevant to commuters.

I regularly receive Family Liaison Officer newsletters at work and thought this article in the latest edition of NewsFLO would be of interest to those of you cycling in London.

Produced with the kind permission of one of their legal partners.

Attachments

• Crackdown on HGV cycling deaths.doc
    670 KB · Views: 48

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
On a recent CPC course, we were informed about 'fresnel' lenses. A sheet that sticks on your window and completely eliminates blind spots on lorries. The were handed out free to left-hand drive trucks entering the UK through Dover, and apparently decreased side swiping by 59%. Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-499831/Sideswiping-foreign-lorries-reduced-half-introduction-special-lenses.html#ixzz1mpWJrwT1 I would guess that if they were fitted to all U.K. N/S the number of cyclists hit would decrease by a similar percentage. Of course there's a small cost involved. We were told they cost around a fiver apiece. Not a lot of money for the government to provide for every U.K. lorry to prevent cyclist deaths is it???? Watch this from 2m 40s to see just how effective they are.
View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp5LfxcM1s4
Maybe we should be campaigning for these.

Of course, education for cyclists is just as important. After all, a lorry driver can't hit a cyclist on a left turn if the cyclist doesn't ride there. Most of us know the insanity of filtering on the left (especially with lorries) but some don't, and some think it's worth the risk.

stowie

Legendary Member
Those fresnel lenses look fantastic. Showing the cab view also brings it home how good most lorry drivers are - there is a lot to monitor from the driving seat.

Cycling education is fine, but I have been put into an uncomfortable position twice quite recently by smaller truck / tipper lorry, both of whom overtook me. Difficult to do much in these situations as a cyclist (although the video of one made me realise I wasn't being assertive enough in my lane). I am ultra cautious around lorries and I do see some other cyclists taking risks I wouldn't contemplate.

My belief is that it will be difficult / impossible to educate all cyclists, pedestrians and car drivers about the dangers of lorries, so while it is well worth trying, large vehicles in large urban areas should be fitted with the latest sensors and cameras by law. A start would be to have all the government led work to mandate contractors having this equipment and possibly planning permission mandating it as well. With large projects like crossrail and the Olympics, the extra cost of installing these must be more than offset by the increased opportunity for work.

For your perusal I have added two videos - the first shows a lorry overtaking on a bend and closing off my space (I should have been further out). The second shows that car drivers will also take idiotic risks with left turn vehicles.

Top Bottom