Newspaper Delivery Collective

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Would be gutted if our local newsagents stopped papers, not because I get one but for the last 7 years been the main stay of my kids income.

Basic 7 day week half an hour a day bit longer abd harder at weekends £34 a week, Sumner holiday my eldest was getting £70 for covering other kids holiday as well.

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Interesting developments, well if you’re local to me!! It does to my mind illustrate the danger of changing a business too quickly before understanding the customers’ needs.

Apparently our old newsagent regularly has large quantities of papers left at the end of the day. I’d heard many people have stopped using the shop and are unhappy with the new owners approach. However one might view this I know several who take the attitude “you clearly don’t want my custom so I won’t give it to you” and effectively boycott the shop.

Popped in yesterday and noted large new soft drinks cabinet, junk foods pulled to front of shop where fresh veg was previously displayed. No fresh veg in stock and other goods arranged in a manner designed to make shelves look full when not - never a good sign.

The previous owners always had the door open clearly indicating the shop was open. Recently when I pass the door has been closed, I assumed it shut but learned yesterday opening hours have been extended, the shop just looks closed!!!

The newsagent in the next village, 25 minutes walk or 10 by car, put up a notice recently announcing “the friendly people at ********** will deliver to xxxxxx.” They’ve re-employed** the local paper boys and girls and are now covering the rounds closed by our shop. Went in to order my delivery and the lady said the size of the rounds had increased and fitted well with what they already did.

** very smart move as many of us know these young people.

Last edited:
Top Bottom