Next project - phillips bicycle completed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Big thanks to @stevevw for this bicycle.

I'm guessing maybe 50s or earlier due to braze on pump pegs and the fishtail lugs. There is no identification at all so it's going to be a John Doe special.

I've got something interesting planned for this which is not going to be mainstream but I think will look good when finished.

I'll keep you posted with progress :-)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 72

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
looks a lot like a Phillips Superlite i use to have will try and find some pics of it 2moro

OP
OP
Tony Raynor

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
@biggs682 looks like your spot on with the Phillips brand. Have found a serial number but no further forward to ageing it.

Not sure if the frame is just bog standard or maybe reynolds plain gauge.

Anyone else use the flick/ping test on the tubes to decide whether it's standard or maybe better. Have been doing it on a few frames I have but I'm not 100% convinced. I know bog standard tubes give a dull thud rather than a Ping. Interested to see if anyone else has had any experience of this.

Cheers

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@biggs682 looks like your spot on with the Phillips brand. Have found a serial number but no further forward to ageing it.

Not sure if the frame is just bog standard or maybe reynolds plain gauge.

Anyone else use the flick/ping test on the tubes to decide whether it's standard or maybe better. Have been doing it on a few frames I have but I'm not 100% convinced. I know bog standard tubes give a dull thud rather than a Ping. Interested to see if anyone else has had any experience of this.

Cheers
@Tony Raynor i agree re your comment some seem to ping whilst others dont

stevevw

Guru
How about a 50's Phillips Manhattan. I see that came in a 19" frame and as an option came in Flam lime green and black. No mention of tubing though.

OP
OP
Tony Raynor

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
@stevevw haven't seen any black paint but that doesn't rule it out. Was the seat a phillips one and if so was there a number on it? Might give me a clue as to whether it was a tourer/3 speed or racer.

The rear mech is a second generation huret allvit so may date the bike in lvery late 50s or sometime in the sixties. These could also have been added or as replacement.

OP
OP
Tony Raynor

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Ok managed to strip off paint and give it a new lick of white. Need to let it harden off befor stage 2 commences. Photo to follow as Apple have screwed up posting images since ios8

OP
OP
Tony Raynor

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Ok so stage 1.5 complete. I'm going for the "if M&S did bikes, it would be covered in a luxurious Italian leather" look.

Not happy with the laced handlebar covers. Might need to make more and use black laces rather than white.

Have a new found appreciation for leather workers as its not as easy as it seems to get the damn stuff on and stretched and straight.

Having troubles still uploading pictures but will get them up soon

Top Bottom