Next road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hudgell

Hi, I started cycling last October on a Trek 7.2 and absolutely love whizzing around North Devon. However I am struggling with hills and now I know how much I enjoy cycling feel that I can justify a new bike. I will have a budget of approx £1000 and although I have done some research am somewhat bamboozled by all the different specs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will of course go and test ride before making the final decision. Thanks!

vickster

Legendary Member
Triple chainset if hills an issue. Decide whether you want a racy or more endurance geometry etc

RebornBumbler

Another hybrid, road (race/'sportive'/touring), cyclocross ?

You'll need to give us some more to go on, or you'll just get 2 or 3 x (the number of replies in the thread) suggestions - which isn't exactly going to make your decision any easier :smile:

Your hybrid has a triple with a front sprocket smaller than the largest rear - which is a low gear the likes of which you won't get on a normal road bike.
That said, a road bike will tend to be lighter, and probably encourage more effort, but ultimately it's the legs that get you up the hills, not the bike.

It is a fabulous place to ride - I can wholeheartedly agree there!

vickster

Legendary Member
I didn't read the rest of it

If the OP is bamboozled, he'd be best off going to his local friendly bike retailers for advice and test rides as he says

OP
OP
H

Hudgell

Thanks for the replies and I now have more questions! What is a triple chain set and are you saying that a road bike would have less gears than the Trek I already have ? Apologies if these are basic questions but I would like to go to the bike shop with a rough idea of what is what, oh and as a 'she' would a WSD make any difference. Thanks again!

RebornBumbler

The chainset comprises the cranks (that the pedals attach to) and the gears that are attached to them. In the case of a triple, there are three gears (rings that the chain runs round). Triples are available on road bikes, but not that many (on the upside that makes the decision process easier if you want one :smile: )
It's likely that the number of gears (on the back wheel) will be 9 or 10. That number multiplied by the number of gears on the chainset is the total number of gears available.

A woman-specific bike might well be a good choice, particularly if you have longer legs, but I'd guess that more women ride 'men's' bikes.
Try as many as you can. They'll all feel somewhat weird after a hybrid.

rojobe

With some brands 'WSD' just means it comes in pink or a nice pale blue, whereas others will change the geometry of the frame to better suit the female anatomy and typical power abilities – slightly shorter reach, smaller sizing, lower gearing. And the contact points may differ too – especially the saddle. There'll probably be a shorter stem and narrower handlebar too. Best way to tell is to look at the 'gents' and WSD versions of the same model and compare the detailing. Agree with Reborn...try as many as you can. And while you're going round different shops to try different brands, make a note of how knowledgeable/helpful the staff are.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for the replies and I now have more questions! What is a triple chain set and are you saying that a road bike would have less gears than the Trek I already have ? Apologies if these are basic questions but I would like to go to the bike shop with a rough idea of what is what, oh and as a 'she' would a WSD make any difference. Thanks again!

How tall are you as a she? If you buy a men's / unisex bike, you may need to size down, buy a new saddle, possibly new handlebars, possibly a new stem

A friend of mine just got one of these, good looking bike, triple chainset, good discount, relaxed geometry...with £1000 you can go up the spec tree if prepared to shop around especially

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/synapse-7-sora-2014-womens-road-bike-ec054937

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/synapse-6-tiagra-2014-womens-road-bike-ec054936

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s134p0/Road-Bikes/Racing-Bikes-Women-Specific (more sporty)

I ride a double chainset with 50-34 on the front and a wide 11-32 cassette on the back. and haven't done the walk of shame for some while despite a dodgy leg and back and not exactly built for climbing hills!

Top Bottom