Next Time You're Off!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

GrahamG said:
No need to effectively assault them - chill the f**k out, they might not even realise they're doing something wrong! Nothing wrong with having a word though...

While you're right about that, I suspect that the OP was just venting.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Cab said:
But, on reflection, thinking back to the ‘bloodbus’ thread. Nice to see that someone does speak up to say ‘chill’.
I remember one of the comments about that forum was that regulars assumed some of the comments were just venting, but no one got challenged.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Cab said:
But, on reflection, thinking back to the ‘bloodbus’ thread. Nice to see that someone does speak up to say ‘chill’.
I remember one of the comments about that forum was that regulars assumed some of the comments were just venting, but no one got challenged.

longers

Legendary Member
I know bikes shouldn't be on footpaths but they quite often are ;).
If Stig had a wee light on it could stop someone from cycling into him, that's all I meant (even though it doesn't look like it :biggrin:).
There's plenty of runners round here on an unlit shared use path and if they have a light or some reflective gear on it's a lot easier to give way to them and to keep the dog from under their feet.

longers

Legendary Member
I know bikes shouldn't be on footpaths but they quite often are ;).
If Stig had a wee light on it could stop someone from cycling into him, that's all I meant (even though it doesn't look like it :biggrin:).
There's plenty of runners round here on an unlit shared use path and if they have a light or some reflective gear on it's a lot easier to give way to them and to keep the dog from under their feet.

Cab

gambatte said:

Difference being that those comments were often repeated and, when challenged on them, repeated again.

Cab

gambatte said:

Difference being that those comments were often repeated and, when challenged on them, repeated again.

Yes I was venting. BUT, that said, last night nearly saw me colliding with some street furniture and would qualify as a near-miss if it were at work. A previous side step onto a kerb once gave me a marching fracture that still clicks. I know that a correctly placed shoulder would ensure that I come off better and fail to see why I should take the worse option just to protect someone who is doing what they shouldn't.

When it comes to lighting, no I don't wear a light but I have enough reflectalite strips to make me glow like a beacon under streetlighting. None of these pavement cycling ninjas have worn anything reflective. I have never had a near miss with a ped. while running and despite my advancing years and fading rugby career, I still have a mean sidestep that is good enough to dodge a body on the pavement especially as the relative approach speeds allow a bit of time for anticipation, but a faster moving bike, with that extra bit in front, isn't always so easy to dodge.

So, there is a good chance that next time, I will just stand my ground and to hell with it.

Yes I was venting. BUT, that said, last night nearly saw me colliding with some street furniture and would qualify as a near-miss if it were at work. A previous side step onto a kerb once gave me a marching fracture that still clicks. I know that a correctly placed shoulder would ensure that I come off better and fail to see why I should take the worse option just to protect someone who is doing what they shouldn't.

When it comes to lighting, no I don't wear a light but I have enough reflectalite strips to make me glow like a beacon under streetlighting. None of these pavement cycling ninjas have worn anything reflective. I have never had a near miss with a ped. while running and despite my advancing years and fading rugby career, I still have a mean sidestep that is good enough to dodge a body on the pavement especially as the relative approach speeds allow a bit of time for anticipation, but a faster moving bike, with that extra bit in front, isn't always so easy to dodge.

So, there is a good chance that next time, I will just stand my ground and to hell with it.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Wanting to barge the cyclist is simply wrong. No excuse for doing that.

On the other hand the cyclist should have had lights, and even with lights the cyclist should go slow enough to see pedestrians. There's no obligation for a pedestrian to be lit up. The rest of us in/on vehicles need to bloody look out for them properly.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Wanting to barge the cyclist is simply wrong. No excuse for doing that.

On the other hand the cyclist should have had lights, and even with lights the cyclist should go slow enough to see pedestrians. There's no obligation for a pedestrian to be lit up. The rest of us in/on vehicles need to bloody look out for them properly.

Ah, but I'm not wanting to willfully barge anyone. I mean, I'm not going to veer off my path, sprint for 25m and launch into an unprovoked attack. I just don't think that I should take potentially hazardous avoidance action when I could enhance my safety by dropping a shoulder and planting a foot.

Ideally these folk would be in the right place, or if they feel insecure on the road then at least show a light, ring a bell, shout a warning or even stop, just do something to alert me to their presence so I have longer to react in an appropriate manner.

(oh ffs, maybe I should buy a hat cam and show you what I mean..... )

Tynan

Veteran
erm yes, if it's a genuine 50:50 and the bike shouldn't be there then to hell with the cyclist

bad form to be rattling along an unlit footpath without lights or anything

that said common sense says to make an effort to be seen if running along a path with the chance of bikes or heaven forbid other runners

if it was unlit, reflectives aren't going to do much are they?

Top Bottom