1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NHS Direct

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Melvil, 29 Feb 2008.

1. Melvil

Melvil Standard nerd

Any thoughts? Some people I know suggest that it should be replaced by an answerphone message saying "You're probably OK but if you think it's serious, pop down to A & E" whereas others have been totally taken care of by it.

Any experiences?

2. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

My judgement of them is a negative one based on how they seem to run the company. Had a mate a few years ago who had an interview, was offered the job and then they reneged on the offer.

My old gf had to use NHS direct several times when I was around as out of hours care is non-existent. They usually said "if it's anyworse go to the out of hours drop-in centre" or got a doctor to call back (about an hour later). Not bad but not useful as one could theoretically have been treated/seen to quicker by the drop-in centre route.

3. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

Yes.
    It's useless (well... possible overstatement)
    Used it a couple of times.
    Got told to go to A&E.
    A&E staff got miffed at injury. Said "Why are you here?"
    Replied "Advised to by NHS Direct"
    Cue much rolling of eyes by A&E staff.
    So my experience is that the advice given out was not appropriate.

4. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

In my experience, if it's a cold then they'll tell you. Anything else and they'd be too stupid to diagnose it over the phone, so they'll tell you to see your GP or go to A&E.

Though they are pretty good at reassuring. Especially to groups like new parents who might have a baby with croup at 3 in the morning. Which is pretty scarey the first time it happens.

5. Cathryn

Cathryn California Correspondant

In principle i think it's a very good idea - lots of people on hand to reassure paranoids who would otherwise take up valuable doctors' time (myself included). They were good when I thought i was dying of a broken leg a few weeks ago!!

6. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

I'd second the very good for parents with their first kids as it's scary... but they have to be careful and 'err on the "Go to A&E" because of legal implications -....... sue you sir !!!!

I'm an avid hospital avoider unless in need of proper patching up !

7. derall

derall Über Member

Like most of what comes out of Richmond House it's good in theory, cr@p in practice. We were supposed to try using them for our follow-up service. Didn't work and we're back to face-to-face appointments again

8. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

They didnt even bother to return my calls or e mails

9. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

My view is that they could fund the NHS properly if they would only ditch crappy initiatives like NHS Direct. The staff work to simple algorithms which could be put on a website, followed and bingo, there is as much of a diagnosis as you can get down a telephone.

It is impossible to accurately diagnose without the patient, so as others have said, they attempt to prioritise, and every call with some nonsense like if it gets worse go to the drs.

If they simply put all the nurses employed by NHS Direct back on duty, it would give a hospital 3 extra A&E nurses per shift I'm sure. They advertised recently and were offering band 7 to 8 pay:ohmy: Thats a flippin ward manager, so they even encourage the most experienced and senior nurses to leave the wards, where their knowledge and experience are truly needed, to go and sit in a bloody call centre:angry:

10. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

Band 8, bloody hell. You could also argue the redeployment of the ordinary call centre staff, although the case is much less compelling.

11. surfgurl

surfgurl New Member

I've had a mixed experience with NHS Direct. I work in a boarding school and we occasionally call them for advice about things or for the out of hours service.
    On a Sunday morning they were able to pass on our details for the local on call Doctor to call us who then gave us advice and an appointment.
    On another occasion, some years ago, I called them for advice relating to a head injury. They arranged for the Doctor to call us back. In hindsight they should have heard the words head injury and said go straight to A and E.
    Another time I rang them as a pupil was showing some symptoms which I thought could be a side effect of the medication they had been prescribed. The patient information leaflet said seek medical advice urgently. I rang them and they had no idea about the medicine and asked me to read the patient information leaflet to them. I had thought they may have had access to this information, but no.

12. Horace Goes Skiing

Horace Goes Skiing New Member

Welcome to NHS Direct.

For general aches and pains, press 1.
    If you are bleeding from an orifice, press 2.
    If the voices are telling you to kill again, press 3.

For all other enquiries, please press 4 to speak to someone reading from a script.

Your call may be monitored for training purposes. On the other hand, we can simply control your thoughts via the "filling" we implanted last year. KILL EDMONDS...NO DEAL...KILL... <signal lost>

13. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Well, sorry to piss all over your sceptical bonfire, but whenever I phoned them when the nippers were a bit younger, I found them authoritative, knowledgeable, reassuring, sympathetic and helpful. Oh, and accurate in their advice. Oh Oh, and confidential.

Unlike my GP's snooty 'You can't see the doctor until you have divulged enough information for me to share with my neighbours' reception or our local 'sorry take a seat you haven't been shot' A&E

14. Maz

Maz Guru

Whenever the kids have been ill or had a trauma injury, I've always found NHS Direct to be reassuring and helpful. They gave sound advice to see us through until morning when the doc could take a look at the symptoms/injuries etc.

15. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

Seconded (or thirded?). We have always found them excellent for resssurance with kids' problems.

It's easy to sit at your computer and criticise but I wonder how many phone calls they take from idiots who have got a runny nose and think they're going to die?