NHS Waste

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Last time I had anything to do with the NHS was when they sent me a letter to say they were cancelling an appointment I didn't know I had, the letter for the cancellation arrived 2 days before the appointment letter which was 1 day after the appointment should have been. So lucky the cancellation letter arrived or I would have received another telling me I wasn't getting another appointment as I'd missed one without letting them know. That then was followed up by another letter telling me I was going to get another appointment, one to tell me when the appointment was, another to advise if I missed the appointment I wouldn't be offered another, in the end it was 7 letters.

Today I've just received another letter to advise that in the next 2 weeks I'll be getting a bowel testing kit, why send a letter to advise me, just send the damn kit, stop wasting paper, time, printing cost, postage costs.

Old Man Rant over

When I was in being treated for my infected shoulder, a nurse ripped open a Pico dressing, realised it was the wrong one, binned it, and got the correct one. They are £240 each. It surely doesn't take too much care to avoid that sort of waste...
Equally Old Man Rant over.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Epsom & St Hellier Trust use phone calls as initial point of contact, then confirm arrangments with a single letter.
The above steps are repeated only if appts are delayed (or brought forward - happens sometimes).

There's a reminder call a week before the appt.

Works absolutely brilliantly, strikes me as one of the more efficient parts of the NHS operation.

Middle-aged, with more important things to rant about.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Flu jab process was very efficient at my Practice. The good thing about the pandemic is my practice has had a full refurb inside - all cleanable floors, much better than the stained carpets.

Arrive, buzz the intercom, In front door, temperature check, hand sanitised, into reception. Coat off, Nurses waiting down corridor, walk down into room, sanitise again, jabbed, straight out the back door. Nurse joked that some folk had been asking 'what else was in it' - I said I'd be fine with 5G then I won't need my phone to make calls, just use my hand ! :laugh:

winjim

Smash the cistern
I just saved the NHS about £1000 by fixing a piece of equipment I could have legitimately binned and replaced.

Easy come, easy go.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I got a call just yesterday confirming my appointment for a pre-assessment for my upcoming op to remove the metalwork from my hip. I don't know why somebody felt the need to ring to confirm something that had already been confirmed, nor why they were unaware that the metalwork was removed three months ago.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
When i had throat cancer 13 years ago i was fed by a tube going into my stomach.
https://www.ramsayhealth.co.uk/treatments/peg-feeding
The hospital sent me loads of boxes of the liquid food i'd need for months. About a quarter of the way through them my oncologist or somebody like that said the tube wasn't necessary and i was to try another food. I had about £700 worth of untouched/unopened food left. I contacted the hospital asking if they'd like it back. They replied saying thanks,but no thanks as it could be contaminated now. Sadly the following Monday 700 quids worth of liquid food was put out for the binmen to take away.:ohmy:

kynikos

Veteran
Surgeon, "So, Mr Kynikos, can you tell me what you know about today's procedure?"
Me "Yes, I have all the signs of angina and partially blocked arteri(es). You're going to run a camera into an artery in my wrist and work your way up to my heart, take a look, and, if required, pop a stent/stents in."
Surgeon, "No, we're just going to take a look. If you need a stent you'll need to come back in two weeks and we'll have you back on the table."
Me, "Surely it makes sense, from both a risk perspective (one op not two) and cost (one £7k operation extended by 15 minutes so marginal additional cost vs two £7k operations).
Surgeon, "Quite probably, but that's not the way we do it."
...followed some time later by "Right, Mr Kynikos, we'll need to see you again in a couple of weeks."

Surgeon, "So, Mr Kynikos, can you tell me what you know about today's procedure?"
Me "Yes, I have all the signs of angina and partially blocked arteri(es). You're going to run a camera into an artery in my wrist and work your way up to my heart, take a look, and, if required, pop a stent/stents in."
Surgeon, "No, we're just going to take a look. If you need a stent you'll need to come back in two weeks and we'll have you back on the table."
Me, "Surely it makes sense, from both a risk perspective (one op not two) and cost (one £7k operation extended by 15 minutes so marginal additional cost vs two £7k operations).
...followed some time later by "Right, Mr Kynikos, we'll need to see you again in a couple of weeks."
:cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I got a call just yesterday confirming my appointment for a pre-assessment for my upcoming op to remove the metalwork from my hip. I don't know why somebody felt the need to ring to confirm something that had already been confirmed, nor why they were unaware that the metalwork was removed three months ago.
Human error?

Phone calls are a good idea because so many idiots forget or don't bother to attend.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Flu jab process was very efficient at my Practice.
Mine was great too.
They did a walk up session 5-8pm.
At 4.55 the queue was about 30 people long.
I rocked up at 7.45 once all the oldies had gone. No one there expect a bored nurse, it took less than 2 minutes.

classic33

Leg End Member
Similar story, different ending.
Being told the tests for cancer were positive, I asked can it spread. Answer was yes, reply was if you find out when removing the first that its spread to the second, just remove both. It'll save you time and trouble, and you'll not have to wait until I come round to ask if you can remove the second.

It had spread in the five months since the tests, and both were removed in the one operation.

Top Bottom