Nice cities to visit in Italy...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Melvil

Thanks so much guys for the info...I'm going to digest all of this - It's really opened my eyes to some different places away from my list - agree that per. staying out of the main cities (e.g. Venice/Naples) is probably a really good way to go!

You sort of have to go to Venice - it does take some believing, even after you've seen it. I'd opt to stay on the Lido (the Villa Parco is nice and inexpensive) because staying in a nice hotel on the main island is somehow a bit too intense.

As for the rest....Pisa is good, and you can fly there (if you do the flying thing). It's a sort of conversational city, and handy for Florence and Lucca.

As an outside bet there's Ancona. Perhaps not one of the top two, but it's a place that people live in, and a decent base to tour Umbria.

djmc

Über Member
If in the Alps cycling then Aosta is interesting. An ancient Roman city with an enormous theatre, the mountains round about are stunning. Courmayeur further up the valley has very impressive views of Mont Blanc and the télépherique to the Col de Géante is also good.

djmc

Über Member
If in the Alps cycling then Aosta is interesting. An ancient Roman city with an enormous theatre, the mountains round about are stunning. Courmayeur further up the valley has very impressive views of Mont Blanc and the télépherique to the Col de Géante is also good.

I haven't been there, but a friend of mine highly recommends cycling on Sicily!

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
Lecce in the far South East is a smashing small city. Siena too.

I have never been to Bologna but a couple of people have told me it ranks as one of the most bike friendly places on the planet with great food.

My experiences of cycling in Italy are pretty positive - but I would personally give it a miss in Rome, even though the traffic has got a bit less bonkers even there.

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
Lecce in the far South East is a smashing small city. Siena too.

I have never been to Bologna but a couple of people have told me it ranks as one of the most bike friendly places on the planet with great food.

My experiences of cycling in Italy are pretty positive - but I would personally give it a miss in Rome, even though the traffic has got a bit less bonkers even there.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
If you want to go to Venice stay in Chioggia, a nice resort town in its own right with canals and a very good beach. Also very convenient for cycling in the Po valley and for day trips to Bologna and Verona.

Apart from saving you a second mortgage in comparison with Venice, the big plus is that you can catch a ferry to the island of Pellestrina, pedal like the clappers to the other end and catch the ferry to the island of Lido (if you don't average about 25+ kph you'll miss the connecting ferry and will have to wait up to 2 hours depending on the time of day). You can then pedal leisurely through the island of Lido till you get to the vaporreto that will take you straight to St Mark's Square (leave the bike chained up at the vaporreto stop).

Not only do you get a bike ride through some interesting places you wouldn't otherwise see, you save a stack of money and get a boat trip through the Gulf of Venice.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
If you want to go to Venice stay in Chioggia, a nice resort town in its own right with canals and a very good beach. Also very convenient for cycling in the Po valley and for day trips to Bologna and Verona.

Apart from saving you a second mortgage in comparison with Venice, the big plus is that you can catch a ferry to the island of Pellestrina, pedal like the clappers to the other end and catch the ferry to the island of Lido (if you don't average about 25+ kph you'll miss the connecting ferry and will have to wait up to 2 hours depending on the time of day). You can then pedal leisurely through the island of Lido till you get to the vaporreto that will take you straight to St Mark's Square (leave the bike chained up at the vaporreto stop).

Not only do you get a bike ride through some interesting places you wouldn't otherwise see, you save a stack of money and get a boat trip through the Gulf of Venice.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Did Venice in January and it wasn't too tourist-clogged. Admittedly it wasn't too warm either!
I can't believe no-one's mentioned Rome yet. Great place, and you can go there by sleeper train.
Naples I didn't go a bundle on, and it's just as easy to do the roman sites from Sorrento.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Did Venice in January and it wasn't too tourist-clogged. Admittedly it wasn't too warm either!
I can't believe no-one's mentioned Rome yet. Great place, and you can go there by sleeper train.
Naples I didn't go a bundle on, and it's just as easy to do the roman sites from Sorrento.

Top Bottom