Nice old delivery bike..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Just been to get some bird feed..shop has a room with loads of old tools etc and this mint old bike.

20150810_155602.jpg
20150810_155626.jpg

D

Deleted member 1258

When I first left school I worked in a Fruit and Veg shop and used to ride a delivery bike very similar to that one, I'd sometimes collect produce from local farms, and also deliver customers orders, we had quite a few elderly customers and I would often deliver their shopping for them.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I don't think it's so old.... look at the alloy bracket for the rear mudguard.

I worked in Comrade Cycles bike factory in Darlaston in the late 70s where they made a bike like that, without the basket, which, unbelievably, they exported to India and China. They were damned heavy to lift into the backs of trucks though; we hated loading them.

A decade or so earlier my pal and I fished an original baker's bike frame out of the river Thame with a hook on a string. We discovered that it had a hole in the RH chainstay where for years the crank had been hitting the stay, so i took it to the village garage where the mechanic did a beautiful brazed repair for me for free. We cut off the basket and fitted it with a rear wheel with Sturmey-Archer hub, ape hanger bars and a small front wheel "donated" from my little brother's Triang bike. It had a dynamo and a huge chrome headlamp and I actually built a chopper seat out of bent tubing and wood. It looked as cool as anything. We moved to Newcastle and the chopper and two other bikes were stolen one Sunday from the cellar under our dining room while we ate Sunday lunch above. The two street bikes turned up on the town moor with their brakes cut but I never got my beloved chopper back. Sadly no photo exists of this amazing bike.

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
Come to think of it @Globalti the old butchers or bread bikes did have a small wheel..

tho if this is a 70's bike its still old..
strangely the old chap im re-laying a load of slabs for this week is a good mate of the vine house farm guy..small world..
he asked me today if i wanted some old tools..
i said no but the guy at vine house has a old tool museum ,he might have them?

He replied he's already got most of them ..lol .he didn't know anything about the bike but he is late 80's and a little frail.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'd LOVE to have a look through those old tools. I have some nice woodworking tools that I got from a restorer in Stalybridge, which are perfect if you only want to do the odd bit of light DIY like fitting skirtings, castrating lambs or summat.

gbb

Legendary Member
We used to ride a couple of trade bikes at the factory/farm in Cyprus, they were Rudges, I believe 1950s , they had same sized wheels.
Is that a headtube badge just sticking out in the photo, that may clarify what it is. Either way, theres always something kinda cool about them.

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
Its a reflection from the lighting gbb...
ill have a good look next time im over Deeping st Nicolas

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom