Nice out, but it smells

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
We live near fields and stables so the air can be ripe at times but I am used to it and rather like it, much better than vehicle fumes.
Me too. I find the muck spreading smell quite sweet, my wife hates it. Mind you my first job was on a pig farm and when I got home every night my mum made me get undressed before entering the house, so perhaps my sense of smell is rather warped.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Dead animals are really humming too. Over the past few weeks I've pinpointed a couple of hotspots that never fail to make me wan't to reach. Deer, badgers, all sorts.

On Monday whilst out on the bike I passed a couple of dead badgers at the roadside, didn't realise them would smell so bad xx( don't suppose this heatwave helps

I love that smell,townies complaining about farmyard pongs,not you mind.It's like inccomers to a village stop the church bells,go live somewhere else.I love the countryside smells sights and sounds.
As an ex townie, now living in the country I don't mind the 'natural' smells either, but when the farmers are out spraying crops in the wind :sad: that is horrid !!

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I was chatting to a farmers daughter when camping last week and she said her father and his neighbours had totally lost the the second silage cut and were having to feed the animals to keep their condition. They are hoping they can keep their heads above water financially this year

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I was chatting to a farmers daughter when camping last week and she said her father and his neighbours had totally lost the the second silage cut and were having to feed the animals to keep their condition. They are hoping they can keep their heads above water financially this year

There was a feature on the TV the other night about it, farmers are having to use their winter silage to feed the cattle for this reason making more expense later in the year

classic33

Leg End Member
I love that smell,townies complaining about farmyard pongs,not you mind.It's like inccomers to a village stop the church bells,go live somewhere else.I love the countryside smells sights and sounds.
They really need to spend a week or two in the country before moving there.

The sights, sounds & smells, are hard to convey in a sales brochure.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
There was a feature on the TV the other night about it, farmers are having to use their winter silage to feed the cattle for this reason making more expense later in the year

Usually there's other parts of the country with plenty of rain to take up the slack with silage but this year it's pretty much country wide. Meat could be more expensive this coming year so we could all do them all a favour and buy British meat even if its a tad more expensive.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I grew up in the country. The smells have changed. It used to be burning stubble. Now it's some of the most evil effluent known to man. I don't see why having been a country child means I should like the fields smelling like a sewage plant or have my smell amputated!

And the church bells. Most used not to ring between 11 and 6 or 7 so neighbours could sleep. I don't know why that's not national yet. Do people in the night-ringing villages not need sleep, or all have double glazing and air con?

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Bugger! I guess they'll have to put off the new Range Rover Sport until next year......*

*Disclaimer:This observation is based purely on farmers in my locality. Other areas may differ.

Top Bottom