Nick, St. Neots, Cambs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Canardly

Veteran
Only remaining problem is being knackered by the time you arrive to go for a run.....:ohmy:

OP
OP
S

shrew

lol, thats so true canardly! thanks for the info Crankarm, once my bike arrives and i get an idea of my fitness level it would be good to meet up )

Crankarm

Guru
Just be at Richardson's cycles in St Ives for a little before 9am on a sunday for the club ride where I am sure you will be made most welcome. You can then ride with them to see if the club is for you. 3 levels fast - the race guys, medium - the wanabees and leisure - the ones who are out for enjoyment.

Canardly

Veteran
St. Neots must be one of the most enigmatic clubs ever, they host regular time trials apparently, have their own clothing gear,are referred to in local papers from time to time, but have no webbie and don't seem to broadcast events publicly.

maxscribe

St. Neots must be one of the most enigmatic clubs ever, they host regular time trials apparently,
have their own clothing gear,are referred to in local papers from time to time, but have no webbie
and don't seem to broadcast events publicly.

Yes I'd go with that description.

But since I know them and occasionally compete in their tts...
they are a small group of dedicated charming geezers.
Every Thursday evening 7pm they hold a tt on the 11.2m Abbotsley course.
Turning up is the only absolute way I can think of for you to get in touch - all other forms of pigeon, turtle
or llama comms might or might not get there (and back).

St neots 2010 TTs pdf

3 Thursdays left this year
Thu 12/Aug/2010 19:15
Thu 19/Aug/2010 19:00
Thu 26/Aug/2010 19:00

from St Neots/Eynesbury go through Abbotsley village and approx 1km on left at turning (to Croxton) is the start for 11.2 tt.

Even though I have known some of them by name for 3 years now they struggle to send me emails of race schedule or results
and I always get my info 3rd hand from a friend who emigrated to Australia (who is on their mail list). It's very entertaining
trying to keep up with them. Almost like a secret society.

I have no email address or telephone for them. I stay in touch either via Australia or by going along on the occasional Thursday tt.
Now the Cardington (BRCC) Evening League has ended I'll pop along for the last 3 at Abbotsley. have fun.

Well that's what I know - good luck.

maxscribe

Have a map...

Abbotsley11.2tt18km-95.jpg

Canardly

Veteran
Blimey just picked up on this thanks. Trouble is getting back from work to make this on a thurs. St. Neots as a club has a fairly robust history and strange as it may seem at one time there was a velodrome in the town park, I am told. Not bad for what was a then very rural market town. With the growth in local population twould seem time to expand activities a tad given interest from others on forum and self.

Canardly

Veteran
Crank do I take it that St. Ives cater for social rides as well? Have seen the pelaton in action on a number of occasions and been pleased to see they keep to the old fashioned ways of things, it is quite nice to have a good morning several times when being repeatedly scalped and to have a hearty hello when on Sustran rides.

rostlr

I've only just stumbled across this site and post, so as club sec for the enigmatic St Neots CC, thought I had better respond!

First thanks Max for the affectionate description!

As some have already mentioned we are a small club. For whatever membership declined during the 90s and the club just managed to trundle along with a handful of members. However, we're hoping to change that and raise the clubs membership and profile.

As Max has mentioned we run a TT on Thursday evenings throughout the summer on the Abbotsley circuit. We also have a Sunday club run meeting at St Neots Market Square about 8.30. There are usually between 5-10 of us and do around 40-50 miles. Pace is probably similar to the St Ives middle group. At the moment we're not really in a position to promote open events, but are hoping that will change in the next couple of years.

As of this week we have a blog (stneotscycling.tumblr.com) you can find out more about TTs, club runs and other stuff there.

If you'ld like to know more please PM me or contact us through the blog.

Happy riding,

Richard Ostler, St Neots CC club sec

Top Bottom