Nicole Cooke, not fit for the Olympic Team ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

festival

Über Member
After years of injury and team problems she at least seems settled in a new team and racing regularly.
She seems to be struggling for form this year so what is her role in the team?

yello

I'd trust the selectors over me any day to judge Nicole's form (!) but I think she brings experience and a wealth of savvy to the team, as well as being a gutsy rider. Personally, I think she's in the team on merit.

As to her role on the road, that might yet to be agreed! It may even be fluid and depend on circumstances come the day, and on the race as it develops.

OP
OP
festival

festival

Über Member
I'd trust the selectors over me any day to judge Nicole's form (!) but I think she brings experience and a wealth of savvy to the team, as well as being a gutsy rider. Personally, I think she's in the team on merit.

As to her role on the road, that might yet to be agreed! It may even be fluid and depend on circumstances come the day, and on the race as it develops.

I don't think BC ever leave things to chance by waiting to see who feels good on the day as you suggest.
I am not commentating on her past relationship with team members but will say part of what made her great in the past was her perceived bloody minded determination to succeed.
Nothing so far suggests she is in condition to play a leading role in the Olympics and in the team on merit if you use the usual BC criteria. Time will tell.

yello

The article I read in the Guardian talks about Cooke's selection and lack of form etc

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jun/21/london-2012-team-gb-lucy-martin

Earlier this season, the team's coach, Chris Newton, told the Guardian that in the event of a sprint finish on the Mall, the strategy would be "all for Lizzie". However, he added that in his view a sprint was by no means inevitable, and that Cooke, clearly, would get her chance.
Sutton said that the key factor in her selection was her ability to produce results against the run of form. "Nicole is a fighter, we've all seen her pull results out of the bag when we might not have been expecting them, she has that proven ability to put it together on race day and get a medal."

That's what made me think that there was nothing absolute in place.

lukesdad

There was an interview with Brailsford on local tv a couple of weeks ago. Basically he was saying Nicole would do as she was told :laugh:

Her role within the team you ask ? To win gold of course. Any other thought wouldn't have entered her head.

oldroadman

Veteran
There was an interview with Brailsford on local tv a couple of weeks ago. Basically he was saying Nicole would do as she was told :laugh:

Her role within the team you ask ? To win gold of course. Any other thought wouldn't have entered her head.

Which may just conflict with working for someone else. I can't see her settling for a domestique role, out of character. Couple that with a shocking ride in the Nationals, missing the vital break and not having much gas in the chase, it does not look good. Sharon Laws showed what a dedicated domestique could do when let off the leash. I think that if Cooke does ride, it will be like GB having two teams, one of 3 and a soloist, which can't be good.

Generally Olympic RR champions do not manage to win the next one, four years is plenty of time to lose a bit of form and power for road racing.
Just hope to be proved wrong on all counts, with a sprint finish after the team get Lizzie in a winning (or at least podium) position.
If not the WMOM (wise men of Manchester) will have to think fast. It's one thing to say "She will do as she's told", another to see it happen on the road!

Top Bottom