Night rides and physical condition after

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know. I just wondered if you stuck to your routine. I take tablets (not sleeping pills or antidepressants) at bedtime, and I often forget to take them before a night ride because my routine is broken.
Same here. It's a good question.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I generally don't feel too bad after night rides, certainly no worse than after any big loss of sleep which happens often in my line of work.
I think a lot depends on your level of fatigue before you start. I certainly notice I find the ride harder and feel slightly worse if I have had a hard/busy week or even hectic Friday. Not taking my Meds is not an issue for me either. Usually on the Saturday I don't feel too bad and on the Sunday just 'tired' and a bit stiff. Mondays too I also feel a bit dopey and stiff as well.

Eating well and re-hydrating afterwards helps. I'm not sure that hitting the couch immediately works though straight afterwards. I find pottering around for the rest of the day a better approach as I sleep better then on Saturday night when 'proper' tired.

Regarding the 'Flu-like' symptoms, this is what we often call a 'Chill', due to getting cold for a period of time and I think occurs in part to a a minor immune response to the stress. I used to suffer with these, but have got much better at having the right kit during the ride and keeping myself properly warm before, during and after the ride and not getting sweaty. as a result I rarely suffer this effect any more.
Cold baths and stretches help with muscle fatigue.

But it's a good question!

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Personally I try to get a couple of hours sleep before the ride, then once home, try and keep busy until early evening, then sleep hits me like a moving train. Other than being a little tired on Sunday, generally I am OK.

Some questions which spring to mind: When do your take your medication? Is it at bedtime or during the day? If at bed time do you take the medication when on a night ride? If not, are the same or similar symptoms experienced if medication is forgotten to be taken when not riding during the night? If you take your medication as normal, are the same symptoms experienced, if you stay up all night for other reasons?

I deliberately don't take my meds when riding at night because they cause drowsiness as a side effect. But can get away with the withdrawal side effects if I miss one night.

robjh

Legendary Member
I try to get about 3 hours sleep in the afternoon when I get home. ....
Sometimes it can be almost impossible to get up after my 3 hour sleep.
Same here if I try to sleep for 2 or 3 hours - I feel like I'm stuck in sleepiness and it's hard to drag myself free.
This time I experimented with a shorter sleep of just 30 minutes, and it seemed to be much better - easy to wake up, and I felt refreshed enough to carry on to the evening almost normally. I still slept extra long on the Saturday night, and Mrs rjh accused me of looking awful and having baggy eyes when I did get up, but you can't have it all ways. Well, I can't.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Hull made me recalibrate tbh. I think I can ride a daytime 100km without batting an eyelid. I used to be able to go without a night's sleep, and just shrug it off. I can't sleep before a ride. I've tried, but no.

The intensity of my current gig with sleep debt before I start, a reduction in cycling fitness from relatively little exercise this summer, and cycling endurance fitness at that, and riding 100km overnight, left me in a very bad place on the night/morning, I just didn't get a second wind after the stop, though thanks to a few in here I pulled myself together, and felt less than 100% for about three days afterwards. The last time that happened was first Whitstable.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
After a busy week I rode London-Whistable-Deal, 100 miles and felt absolutely dead. The following week I rode London-Bognor-Deal, 220 miles (longest ever ride by a long way) and felt notably better in comparison...BUT, I'd had a much more restful week before and I'm sure that makes a difference.

[QUOTE 4990934, member: 21629"]The good thing is that the cold weather is coming up so almost no more rides for 6 months. Unless very occasional ones. Otherwise it wouldn't be so easy to make a choice - either cycling or treatment, as in my case both simply don't go together.[/QUOTE]
Agree, it's tough to do both. I'm taking a break from night rides as well but focusing on my knee physiotherapy again, so next year should be better.

Will we see you on the Xmas ride? (I think it's another night time one, though!)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Sounds like normal reaction after 1st night shift for me, awake 2 nights then try to sleep in the day time leaves me feeling like something you scrape off your shoe , vegging in front of thetv is about all im good for .

Top Bottom