Night walking/exercise?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-55895737

Maybe a bit problematical amidst this short big-freeze, but anyone been doing it/any experiences/tips?

I assume the beeb has ensured this isn't available to folks in Derbyshire as I imagine Derbyshire plod would jump on anyone trying it/name and shame them/fine them/put out what they imagine to be a witty tweet.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Often walk and jog very early with a head torch. So peaceful.

classic33

Leg End Member
Not bothered about the time. Went out, prior to this, any time after 2am and will continue to do so.

There's fewer folk out, even less when you move away from areas that have street lighting.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I’m out in the sticks, and lucky enough to have the countryside right up to my back door. Often find myself deep in the woods at night, treading the usual paths. A magical otherworld filled with sound you wont hear come daybreak. Not just walking, but also stopping to listen: call and response of tawny owls hunting; the wing sound of the barn owl roding the wood-edge; roe deer turning in their scrapes; perched birds lifting from pine boughs in wing clatter. Daybreak can be fertile walking time too: the best of the weather most days in winter; deer and foxes seen on the move hereabouts. And, even in winter, a tentative chorus in the scrub, nicely hushed this week with the snow pillow.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Anyone who enjoys a night ride might be interested in this, Ride to the Sun; an annual event held on the Saturday night closest to the summer solstice. 100 miles from Carlisle to Edinburgh with no entry fee. I last did it in 2017, but hope to do it again if circumstances permit. It was cancelled last year; but hopefully it might stand a chance this year.

Brains

Legendary Member
Right now anytime after 5pm is night walking.
So I often go night walking, back home by 5.30 in time for tea

Top Bottom